DXtra Mile (Bowing Out BOO HOO )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I thought I'll throw in a 39' Schwinn DX in the mix and see where it goes. I know I can't make everybody happy with what I'm about to do with this frame...

"ooh what a wonderful patina...keep the history"- Purist

"Aw man, the things full of pitting and rust...rattle can, rattle can, rattle can!"- Rat-ist

...hmmm what to do... :idea: ...I'll do both :!:

How am I gonna do it? you ask... you'll just have to wait and see 8)

SANY0040-1.jpg

SANY0039.jpg

SANY0038.jpg

...just waiting for some parts to arrive in the mail

Re: DXtra Mile

cman said:
Hmmm......I sense some sparkly paint may be in order. :wink:
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: ..... :shock: hmmmmm
deorman said:
Acid dip and Offenhauser triple! 8) Oops, :oops: wrong '39. :lol: :mrgreen:
....(pause).... :lol: Oh, the intake manifold :lol: Nice one

vibr8shun said:
Ok, I thought I'll throw in a 39' Schwinn DX in the mix and see where it goes.

I like that frame :wink:

I'll be watching this build for sure!!!

"it's your frame, do whatever you want with it." - libertarian :D

...well, I started with the first phase of the frame and started to strategically wire-wheel and dremmel the areas of heavy rust and pitting and leaving the painted area alone. I'm choosing not to fill in the pittings with bondo or any type of brazing filler, instead i will show it off :shock: like a bad case of acne or age-spots. :mrgreen: ....

...so technically I left the original paint alone, but plan to rat-ify the rest of the frame like a $10 hor-se (women of the night) :wink:

pics coming soon.

...still working on the frame, but here is the forks I plan on using after I strip it and get it all gussied up. Looks like the previous owner applied paint with a brush over dirt to give it that lumpy texture :roll: Its wire-wheel and sanding time :mrgreen:
SANY0144-1.jpg

Re: DXtra Mile (rough mock-up 5/24)

...well here is a rough mock-up of what I'm planning to use so far...I still haven't finished the frame yet, but I wanted to make sure that the components fit. Still waiting on the other parts to arrive in the mail. I'm going for more of a "rat-klunker" vibe...a mix of old and new, with a dash of custom fabrication.

SANY00352.jpg

SANY00362.jpg

...I'm thinking of giving pinstriping a shot on this build...I think I have a steady hand :roll:

I like the way you´re thinking :D
Cool forks, I´ll have to build me a couple of those some day :roll:

vibr8shun said:
...well here is a rough mock-up of what I'm planning to use so far...I still haven't finished the frame yet, but I wanted to make sure that the components fit. Still waiting on the other parts to arrive in the mail. I'm going for more of a "rat-klunker" vibe...a mix of old and new, with a dash of custom fabrication.

SANY00352.jpg

SANY00362.jpg

...I'm thinking of giving pinstriping a shot on this build...I think I have a steady hand :roll:
SWEET STEM :D

vibr8shun said:
...well, I started with the first phase of the frame and started to strategically wire-wheel and dremmel the areas of heavy rust and pitting and leaving the painted area alone. I'm choosing not to fill in the pittings with bondo or any type of brazing filler, instead i will show it off :shock: like a bad case of acne or age-spots. :mrgreen: ....

...so technically I left the original paint alone, but plan to rat-ify the rest of the frame like a $10 hor-se (women of the night) :wink:

pics coming soon.

Interested to see the results of your technique! Any updates?

Re: DXtra Mile (polished pitted frame 6/16)

...for all you hard-core rat enthusiast, whose ever stripped/sanded a frame to bare metal...exposing the brazing and welds, I know you can appreciate the rewarding time and effort( more like blood, sweat, and tears) of the finished product.

...like I said earlier, I wanted to achieve a highly polished pitted raw steel and keep some aspects of the past paint job(the cream)
whats left to do with the frame is the acetone wipe-down and a clear gloss lacquer.
dx1.jpg

dx5.jpg

dx2.jpg

vibr8shun said:
...for all you hard-core rat enthusiast, whose ever stripped/sanded a frame to bare metal...exposing the brazing and welds, I know you can appreciate the rewarding time and effort( more like blood, sweat, and tears) of the finished product.

...like I said earlier, I wanted to achieve a highly polished pitted raw steel and keep some aspects of the past paint job(the cream)
whats left to do with the frame is the acetone wipe-down and a clear gloss lacquer.

Strong work! Thank looks fantastic!! 8)

:oops: ....sorry folks but I cant go D'Extra mile and I have to bow out of this build due to my work schedule and not being able to acquire certain parts needed for the build. I could have pieced together parts just to finish...but that would just be entering a bike that I didn't give it my all, and I don't want to JUST settle. :cry: I will save this bike for a future build, now that I took valuable notes on certain bikes in RRBB5 8) see you next year :p

Latest posts

Back