Dynamic Duo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some mods on a 20" frame for my son earlier this year, and just started on mine yesterday. I used a hacksaw to cut where the cantilever tubes were welded to the top tube and the down tube and heated the chainstays to drop the rear height. Next job is to cut off the head tube and give it some rake.

20" frame
DSCF2132-1.jpg

The start of the 26" frame
DSCF2130-1.jpg

DSCF2125-1-1.jpg

Re: Cuttin' and Weldin'

It's been 2 months since I did any work on this, so I spent a couple of hours on it yesterday. I got the the cantilever tubes rewelded and cut the head tube off and removed about an inch from the top tube to give it some rake. Here's a mockup pic of it tacked together. Will probably paint it in red primer and use white seat and grips to match the 20" version.

DSCF2316-1.jpg

Re: Cuttin' and Weldin' - New Update!!

I seem to do some more work on this every 2 months or so..... :( . I picked up a can of red primer today and shot the frame. I didn't worry too much about sanding and smoothing.....it is a ratty build. Anyway, I'll give it a few hours in the sun to dry and start putting it together. Hopefully should be finished this afternoon.

Still wet
Untitled.jpg

Re: Cuttin' and Weldin' - New Update!!

Rat on Rat on!! Looks great. Peace

Re: Cuttin' and Weldin' - New Pics - Roller

When I started building this bike last night, I realised I forgot to get a front sprocket. I want a 36 tooth, so looked through all my parts bins and only had large ones. I put the rest of it together anyway, and will pick up a new sprocket in the next day or so. Looking at it put together, I kinda wish I had put a bit more rake in the steerer tube, but at least it hasn't got the "chopper flop". I can always cut the steerer off later and add more rake if I decide too. I'll post some better pics in the next couple of days when it's all finished.

DSCF2364.jpg

DSCF2365.jpg

Re: Cuttin' and Weldin' - Finally finished!!

Woohoo!!......finally got around to finishing this thing :D . I fitted the crank and chain today and took it for a ride. The short cranks will take a bit of getting used to, but I'd rather have them short than scraping, and your knees don't come up too far with short cranks. It'll probably only be used for slow rides around the park with the family and short trips to the store anyways. Rollin' on a 24 x 3 Fatti-O on the rear and a 26 x 1.95 on the front.

DSCF2608.jpg

DSCF2611.jpg

I really like the colors, and the proportions in hight between the handelbar and seat is perfect, just the way to do it!

I love that look. The rake and tire sizes are perfect.

we need a pic of your bike and your son's together!

Beyond cool! That's so FUN! I hope the two of you can ride the wheels off these bikes together!

Love the bike! Dumb question. When you cut out the 2" from the top tube did you cut the bottom tube also or heat and bend it? Did you cut the whole steering tube off first? Would like to rake my bike out some and like the way you went about it. Thanks for the help!

Turtlesixfour said:
Love the bike! Dumb question. When you cut out the 2" from the top tube did you cut the bottom tube also or heat and bend it? Did you cut the whole steering tube off first? Would like to rake my bike out some and like the way you went about it. Thanks for the help!

Thanks......I cut the steering tube off, then cut some out of the top tube and did the scallops in both tubes. I didn't use a jig to reweld the steering tube back on.......just tacked it on then used the "calibrated eyeball" method to get it straight. Both bikes ride straight and true and are a lot of fun to ride.

Turtlesixfour said:
How did you do the scallops? All I have available at my house is a curved file.

I did them at home at night, so a half round file is what I used. If I was at work, I would have started them off with a grinder, then finished off with a file.

Latest posts

Back