Easier than expected!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since I haven't had any interest in my lot of New Departure hub parts I decided to build a working hubs from the parts.
IMAG2085_zpsfd2d7f24.jpg

The only thing missing was a good driver and sprocket, but this crusty, seized hub had them.
IMG_2312_zps1f490d52.jpg

Anticipating a battle I grabbed my wrenches to try and break it apart. Imagine my suprise when a little pressure frees the overtightened cone nut and the hub came right apart. There was good grease in the hub. The bearings had been replaced at some point, the races had no pitting, the brake discs were not even scored.
IMAG2086_zps54f69a7f.jpg

A soak in solvent and a few minutes with a tooth brush cleaned everything up.
IMAG2087_zps0ed79b8f.jpg

IMAG2088_zps618f5d2c.jpg

IMAG2090_zps6fca6059.jpg

I don't even remember where this hub came from. I have had it for years and never messed with it because it looked like it was trashed.

Gonna make for a sweet rat wheel.
IMAG2089_zps1eaf140c.jpg

I have seen a lot of New Departure Model Ds, and without a doubt that is the the crustiest rustiest specimen that I have ever seen. Normally the chrome gets saved by all of the accumulated gunk, but that one must have lived by the seashore for most of its adult life. I agree with yoothgeye its a sleeper alright.

Latest posts

Back