El Chango Laton [Es Finito! 7/19]

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at placement opportunities for my old boat throttle shifter. There are four options that I'm considering, and if anyone has any critiques, I'm all ears/eyes.

The options on the right side of the page are both surface mount, which will cause the shifter to protrude further from the right side of the bike than the left two choices, the recessed mounting options. Surface mounting would be simple, either welding studs to the frame, drilling holes through it and running bolts, or a combination thereof. The recessed mounts could be brass P-straps, or I could weld a plate/gusset between the frame tubes, and mount the shifter to that.
Obviously, the two options on the bottom row place the shifter under the seat, while the two on the top place it in easy reach of the handlebars.
EDIT: Fifth option... surface mount lower in front:

Last edited:
:39: I'd go with either of the top two... probably top right. I quite like levers sticking up prominently and that's a cool lever that needs to be obvious and noticeable.

But it's such a cool lever that any position will look great, so really it's up to you and how it feels.

Glen.

I think option one (NW quadrant) looks the best.
How about a closeup of that cool shifter?

After some pondering, I think that I'm going to have to lace up the rear wheel, mock everything up with the handlebars in place, and see which location looks/feels the best at that point. Was hoping not to have to do another mockup before paint, but that's what it's all about, right?

EDIT: Oh, and then there can be more pictures. Have to look on the bright side.

Sometimes you gotta see the whole picture.

All that waiting, and when I laced up the rear wheel last night, it turns out I have a couple of millimeters too much on each spoke. Spoke length calculator has gone done me wrong.
I have a pack of washers for the nipples. If I am really lucky,maybe adding one of these under each can give me just enough without having to trim them all and rethread.

All that waiting, and when I laced up the rear wheel last night, it turns out I have a couple of millimeters too much on each spoke. Spoke length calculator has gone done me wrong.
I have a pack of washers for the nipples. If I am really lucky,maybe adding one of these under each can give me just enough without having to trim them all and rethread.

UGH! That happened to me when I laced up the wheels on Firewing. I never knew that nipple washers ran in packs. :crazy:

Wow cant believe I missed this build till now:oops: I absolutely love everything about it so far. I did something similar with a fork last year:grin: Oh and I vote for top left too:thumbsup:

Wow cant believe I missed this build till now:oops: I absolutely love everything about it so far. I did something similar with a fork last year:grin: Oh and I vote for top left too:thumbsup:
Five years ago or so, I saw a Vanguard build of a Japanese road frame (I want to say it was a Fuji or Panasonic) with a fork replacing the seatstays. Ever since, I've wanted to do one, and I'm finally making it happen. If I'd had more money to throw at it, I think I might have welded a clamp on the back of the seat tube, and bolted a carbon road fork in place, instead.

Latest posts

Back