Electra RS Klunker build

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Laced wheels are in, looking good!

I also abandoned the 'seat stay' truss idea. When I looked at it with the complete bike, I found it a bit 'too heavy' on the front.
Now I decided to bend a piece of 12mm stainless steel pipe I had lying around:

And I am working on the front fork, it needs a bracket welded on to hold the drum brake arm in place:

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frame primered, needs a bit more crusty paint removal in some corners:

Fitting the truss pipe and fabricating an "anchor" for the drum brake. I started out with a piece of square tube.
Most drum brake anchors have a "C" shape welded to the fork, but I wanted it boxed because I can.
The section is a bit larger than the arm, but I had the following thought: To tap thread (M6 metric or so) in the rear of the ancher after welding.
Why you might ask? Well, I do not like it when I hold the front brake and the drum brake arm has a couple of milimeters of play in the "C" shape mentioned earlier. I kind of feels like you removed tension of your front nuts if you know what I mean.

The truss clamps (mounted on the rim brake pegs) need to come forward quite a bit. And they will be changed to some similar clamps. This is just a mockup.

Fabrication of drum brake anchor:

:cool:

Earlier, I made a "press tool" to press an eyelet to tubes.
When you flatten a tube in a vice, then you'll get something OK, but a bit floppy sideways. I want to press an eyelet that is appealing to look at and stiff.
But first I need to finish and mockup/assembly the fork.
Example and picture:

The pressed eyelet on the right is made with a vice. It looks OK, but its a bit floppy. The aluminum plates will eventually press an "rounded" eyelet.

What are your thoughts?

Captain Awesome

Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Aug 9, 2012
Sunny SC coast
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Frame primered, needs a bit more crusty paint removal in some corners:

Fitting the truss pipe and fabricating an "anchor" for the drum brake. I started out with a piece of square tube.
Most drum brake anchors have a "C" shape welded to the fork, but I wanted it boxed because I can.
The section is a bit larger than the arm, but I had the following thought: To tap thread (M6 metric or so) in the rear of the ancher after welding.
Why you might ask? Well, I do not like it when I hold the front brake and the drum brake arm has a couple of milimeters of play in the "C" shape mentioned earlier. I kind of feels like you removed tension of your front nuts if you know what I mean.

The truss clamps (mounted on the rim brake pegs) need to come forward quite a bit. And they will be changed to some similar clamps. This is just a mockup.

Fabrication of drum brake anchor:

:cool:

Earlier, I made a "press tool" to press an eyelet to tubes.
When you flatten a tube in a vice, then you'll get something OK, but a bit floppy sideways. I want to press an eyelet that is appealing to look at and stiff.
But first I need to finish and mockup/assembly the fork.
Example and picture:

The pressed eyelet on the right is made with a vice. It looks OK, but its a bit floppy. The aluminum plates will eventually press an "rounded" eyelet.

What are your thoughts?
Very tidy!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

Things are moving faster now. I will paint the first part of the frame and add the "creme white" sections on the front later.

What is the name of the art on the bike? The old Klunker bikes have a "white" section at the front (headtube) and a little pinstriping/pointy bit of art behind it. Then comes the original colour.
Is that called pinstriping?

This is my approach: (I am fully open to suggestions/alteration)
  1. First I am painting the original colour (already in the making).
  2. The I will measure the diameter of the tubes X Pi. And cut a piece of paper with that (pinstriping?) art on it.
  3. Stick/wrap the paper to the frame.
  4. Paint the front part with art white/creme.
This way there are no large variations in paint thickness.

So I got the paint at an "graffiti" shop. I don't know if this is any good...

Primered!

Colour! The bike is clamped on the seat tube for the first layers... Now I placed an temporary tube in the BB so I can paint the complete frame for the next layers. The headtube will just get one layer of green.

I got my colour/design inspiration from a beautiful bike that the @Rat Rod built one day. Can't find the picture though... it is dark/camo green with creme/desert colour on the front.

RustyGold

Staff member
Pro Member
Jul 2, 2015
Mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
What is the name of the art on the bike? The old Klunker bikes have a "white" section at the front (headtube) and a little pinstriping/pointy bit of art behind it. Then comes the original colour.
Is that called pinstriping?
I don't know if there is a specific name, 'darts' is used generically at times, but mostly described by shape: darts, spears, arrows, chevrons, swirls, arches, claws, wings, etc.

They are stenciled, as opposed to pinstriped...though, occasionally the stenciled shapes are pinstriped to separate the two colors.

• Cool
Reactions: BartRidesEternal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if there is a specific name, 'darts' is used generically at times, but mostly described by shape: darts, spears, arrows, chevrons, swirls, arches, claws, wings, etc.

They are stenciled, as opposed to pinstriped...though, occasionally the stenciled shapes are pinstriped to separate the two colors.
Thanks RustyGold! I might add these later. Maybe with a sticker, some people say that it will make your vehicle faster :grin:

The frame is painted now. I'll let it sit for a couple of days and then start the first parts of assembly. I tried to keep the lines of that front gusset part.
Now I can weld + paint the front fork too. Hope I get a chance this week. The "Car hobby club" is open again now, so I can have some fun with the welding machine 🥽

Paint: Its matte, but I decided to put some layers of clearcoat on it for cleaning purposes.
In hindsight; I painted in the sun and read that that is not always a great idea... but I also never had any big issues with paint.
Only one time painting a set of rims that was sprayed with silicone to keep the tires black.....

This afternoon I can pick up my "built from scratch" frame from the powdercoater (link below).

The stains on the frame (picture below) were removed.

Latest posts