ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so I guess I'm going with...

il_fullxfull.638998765_j913_large.jpeg

I overlooked including a synopsis at the beginning of this thread. Oops!:doh:
It's corrected now and here's a copy so that you don't have to go back to the top.

The concept for Decoluxe is to build a 1940's era bicycle that could have existed but didn't. The bike will hopefully look like it had been found in the back of a warehouse in a once thriving metropolis somewhere in industrialized America. Opulent uses of steel and chrome mixed with the graceful lines and colors of the art deco movement will set the tone. The grime and grit of use will cement it in time. In the end my hope is that Decoluxe with evoke a warm nostalgic feeling of that bygone era in history.

I'm hooked sounds like a romance novel already I need more . Between the sexy lines of that frame and the busty look of that tank makes me want to jump on it and ride it all night . Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could it be, that frame looks familiar... I'll definitely be watching this one, it sat in the rafters forever now it's journey begins...

Could it be, that frame looks familiar... I'll definitely be watching this one, it sat in the rafters forever now it's journey begins...
This might look more familiar to you. I scraped the green off as soon as I could, it was so loud that the neighbors were complaining. :bigsmile:
051A97A8-9FBC-47DA-8830-8EE0C136AA71_zpsurtdvqjc.jpg

This might look more familiar to you. I scraped the green off as soon as I could, it was so loud that the neighbors were complaining. :bigsmile:
051A97A8-9FBC-47DA-8830-8EE0C136AA71_zpsurtdvqjc.jpg
Well I can say you already have the most work put in because that green was really struck on there...
Lookin good...

I had thought that I would be mounting a tank today, but ironically I don't have one for myself. Typically I try to keep five or six sets of tanks on hand at any given time so that I can ship fast, but suddenly I found myself sold out as I shipped my last two tanks just two days before the build off.:doh: Murphy's law.:21: The fiberglass shop is supposed to get one or two sets made this week so hopefully I won't have to wait long.

So since I have no progress to show, I'll show the fork that I'll be using (another Pookie42 contribution).
101_0819 (1).jpg

Because of the headlights in the tank, not every springer fork is compatible. The CWC Shockmaster fork will work great because the springs are below the head tube.

I overlooked including a synopsis at the beginning of this thread. Oops!:doh:
It's corrected now and here's a copy so that you don't have to go back to the top.

I need to do that too!

That fork is killer.....I must say I kind of like that green...:D...but it def doesn't suit the bike.

Like always a great plan,the frame has all the right curves.Will keep a eye out on this one for sure.
I have a set of roadmaster forks here,need to fit them to a cool build one day...

With everything I do to this bike, my goal is to make it look authentic as if it is a factory original survivor bike. There will be plenty of custom parts when it's done, but to the average onlooker, I hope that it will not look custom at all! My first challenge is making subtle street sweeper fenders fit just low enough to look cool but not slammed cool like a hot rod. 'Fat's where it's at' for the Decoluxe so the only choice for fenders is some Monark D E E P fenders.

I had a hard enough time tracking down a front and rear fender so a third one for cutting up was not in the cards. Instead I resurrected a ratty Wald fender that didn't have a chance of ever being used again and cut a section for lengthening the Monark. Of course the depth was not even close but I have a plan for dealing with that later on.

To insure that the fender stayed true and centered, I cut a piece of OSB to fit the radius and screwed the two sections down to the edge before welding them together. As usual, I called on the expert welding skills of my street rodding cousin Charlie to sew it up for me.

The first step!
Decoluxe rear fender.jpg

Digging the street sweeper deepwell Monark fenders idea. Execellent execution as expected.

Latest posts

Back