ELGIN TWIN 9

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see that you have the BB and HT shrouds and they look to be in great shape.
If there is one weak spot on these bikes, it is the seat clamping system. Don't count on using the flipped seatpost as a laidback post without some additional support. With our weight, it will bend the clamping piece (trust me :D ). Luckily there is a stout flat plate that joins the fender stays together that works great to mount supports from.
Good advice. I was actually thinking of flipping the seat mount up-side-down to lower the seat further, but it is curved to follow the contours of the frame, so that idea was short-lived. I might just eliminate the whole bracket and somehow mount the seat directly to the frame.

Wow!!! that frame alone is an art piece. I can't wait to see some FAT tires on it ;)
I will do a mock-up with the 24x3 tires, but I want to stay with stock wheels (and there's a reason for that). While the 3" tires will easily fit on the rear, the original forks are way too skinny. I would have to custom make a wide springer to use the 3" front tire. But I do have some crazy mock-ups in mind.

I saw your post and the first thing i thought was:
Nooo, you sold all your bikes including the Blue Flame Special😭

Then i saw your new frame🥰
You're good🤐
All of my old bikes are available for sale. The local guy is selling most of them. But his prices are high, and he doesn't want to ship anything. I still have these 3.
DSCN1014.JPG
DSCN1220.JPG
DSCN0545.JPG

I will do a mock-up with the 24x3 tires, but I want to stay with stock wheels (and there's a reason for that). While the 3" tires will easily fit on the rear, the original forks are way too skinny. I would have to custom make a wide springer to use the 3" front tire. But I do have some crazy mock-ups in mind.
I'm a Stingray guy so I'm open to a fatty back tire and something smaller in front. Maybe you could do a 3 inch in back and a standard ballooner in front to accommodate the springer but I'm sure you've already thought of every scenario.

I'm a Stingray guy so I'm open to a fatty back tire and something smaller in front. Maybe you could do a 3 inch in back and a standard ballooner in front to accommodate the springer but I'm sure you've already thought of every scenario.
I do have a fat and skinny set with a cream 24x3 Thick Brick on a vintage white drop-center wheel for the rear, and a cream Fat Frank (26x2.35) on a vintage white drop-center wheel for the front. I am going to mock-up that combo on the Twin Bar. I already know that everything will fit. It should look really good on that frame without fenders.

RB Tim, I've got a new name idea for you: Bo Derek. Get it? :grin:

Of course, you'd have to change your tire scheme to have the bigger one in the front and the narrower one in the rear...

Some updated pics today. I installed a set of '39 Elgin painted wheels that came off of a curved-tube bike. The patina on them matches the bike very nicely. But these wheels do not have the cooling-fin hubs typically found on every Twin Bar model, which is a good thing. It accurately follows my idea of a how a (sub-base) Twin 10 model would have been equipped. I also installed the original seat which is in pretty good condition. Of course, the first mock-up received (my favorite) cream Fat Franks and Stingray apes. But I don't feel that the apes look right, considering that I am trying to invent a new "factory-built" model here. I might just have to put the original Torrington bars back on it (or something else just as appropriate). A cool feature is that the bike still has its correct Elgin axle adjusters in place. I am really liking the enhanced appearance of the frame with the fenders (and headlight) removed!
DSCN1802.JPG
DSCN1807.JPG
DSCN1806.JPG
DSCN1805.JPG

Last edited:
RB Tim, I've got a new name idea for you: Bo Derek. Get it? :grin:

Of course, you'd have to change your tire scheme to have the bigger one in the front and the narrower one in the rear...
Or maybe a pair of Double (D) headlights!

(and figure out a way to make them bounce in slow motion)

Last edited:
That's much better. The original Torrington bars just look much more appropriate on this bike. I think it's because the frame is about 3" to 4" longer than most other frame designs, so the seat-to-handlebar distance is longer. That's why these Twins usually have the seat posts facing forward. But I much prefer the seat to be as low and as far back as possible. I would like to eliminate the seat post bracket altogether, and mount the seat directly to the frame somehow. But that would go against my theme of a factory appearing bike. There are so many directions that this build could take, but I keep coming back to the stock look after experimenting with different custom ideas. I guess that I am having trouble trying to improve on the original design.

DSCN1812.JPG

Last edited:
Looking great.
Is that a Twen Ten or a Twin Tin? :D

Latest posts

Back