ELGIN TWIN 9

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This would be my solution on such a frame:
IMG_20210726_125015.jpg

Add a seatpost :rofl:
If I have to use a seatpost, I will consider my custom seat mounting experiment a failure. Since the bike has no seat tube, why should it have a seatpost? My idea is to use an old flat hinge in front and attach the 2 springs directly to the frame with some kind of clamping device (without any permanent modifications, of course). That factory seatpost is just an eyesore to me. Come to think of it, that kickstand hanging down certainly interrupts the flow of the lines (and it looks like it weighs about 5 pounds)........it's coming off. Form over function.
DSCN1792.JPG
DSCN1799.JPG
DSCN1800.JPG
DSCN1801.JPG

This would be my solution on such a frame:
View attachment 165984
Great idea, toro! But that would be way too complicated for me to build. And my ultimate goal is to have the seat laying down on the frame cleanly. But I have always wanted to build a rear suspension system (using springer fork parts) that resembles your idea.
DSCN1827.JPG
DSCN1828.JPG

Last edited:
Great idea, toro! But that would be way too complicated for me to build. And my ultimate goal is to have the seat laying down on the frame cleanly. But I have always wanted to build a rear suspension system (using springer fork parts) that resembles your idea.View attachment 166020View attachment 166021

The Dayton Twin Flex style rear end would be cool. If you go that route, I would suggest bending the Monark spring legs to match the curve of the looptail. Chek out images of Twin Flex rear ends for examples. You can also check out my Flex-Liner 7 build from BO7. I think that would work well with this frame. It may complicate your seat idea though.

The Dayton Twin Flex style rear end would be cool. If you go that route, I would suggest bending the Monark spring legs to match the curve of the looptail. Chek out images of Twin Flex rear ends for examples. You can also check out my Flex-Liner 7 build from BO7. I think that would work well with this frame. It may complicate your seat idea though.
I have no intention of utilizing a rear suspension system on this bike. It's just an idea that I have considered on a few previous builds. The only reason I referenced it was because it looked like toro's seat mounting idea. I feel that seat springs will be enough rear suspension, but I am trying to figure out a usable front suspension system for this build. I am considering the obvious, and just using a Stewart-Warner Floating Hub. They are commonly seen on many high-end Twin Bars. That way I will maintain the overall clean, minimalistic look of this build.

Last edited:
I have no intention of utilizing a rear suspension system on this bike. It's just an idea that I have considered on a few previous builds. The only reason I referenced it was because it looked like toro's seat mounting idea. I feel that seat springs will be enough rear suspension, but I am trying to figure out a usable front suspension system for this build. I am considering the obvious, and just using a Stewart-Warner Floating Hub. They are commonly seen on many high-end Twin Bars. That way I will maintain the overall clean, minimalistic look of this build.

Cool man, follow what's in your heart and mind.

Since I was unable to find an original set of white Elgin grips, I just ordered a set of reproductions. What is the best way to make them match the patina of the bike?

Since I was unable to find an original set of white Elgin grips, I just ordered a set of reproductions. What is the best way to make them match the patina of the bike?

I rubbed some acrylic paint on my dark black brand new naner saddle for my Shelby Woody build. Used a gray color called 'Plaid', lightly rubbed in. Turned it to a nice sun-baked fade
I've used it on grips as well.
IMG_20200816_145258_726.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an old '48 Schwinn that had the most beautifully patina'd white grips that I had ever seen. They were almost a caramel color with all of the "deep" areas being much darker. And they were kind of shiny on the "high" spots (but still dark) where hands would have been rubbing them for many years. I was thinking brown shoe polish or some kind of stain to achieve the same effect??? Should I scuff the surface of the grips so the stain/polish/paint can penetrate better? Wouldn't it be really cool to get the tires this same color also?
DSCN1292.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe on a test grip, one you don't care so much about, try half of it 'scuffed' (very lightly) and then I would try an adhesion promoter spray on the other half. I used this on my chrome on RaTs GaSs to get the very thin Duplicolor Metalcast to stick to the slick surface of the chrome. A combination of the two would probably be your best bet. And if you use a gel stain, that will be your best shot for getting a 'deeper' coloring. Some use it to create a wood grain look on plastic.
adhesion promoter.jpg

Does anyone have a set of correct fenders for this bike in usable condition? I want to see if shorty fenders look good on this bike, and I don't want to cut up the nice original fenders that I have.

This build has been very frustrating. I have mocked-up many different ideas on this bike (wheels, tires, forks, bars, etc.), always to eventually realize that it looked better with the original parts. I have concluded that this is just a beautifully designed bike that really doesn't benefit from mild modifications. That's why I finally decided to build a sub-base (10) model that looked like a factory offered model. So while I would like to eliminate the seat post bracket, it would not be "factory" to have a non-adjustable seat. So, I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet. The solution (once again) might just be to leave the seat stock. With all of the time and effort spent on this build so far, I am no further ahead than just having a fender-less Twin 20 with nice patina and cream Fat Franks.

Hey Tim,
I could not have stated any better the challenges the Elgin Twins' design poses for mild mods.
I'll be eagerly following your build from the seat post fix to the finish line.
My twin (non build off) has been playing the mock up game forever and remains essentially the same bare metal core frame and pod and shroud as you're tackling now.
My wheel and tire combo has been seemingly married to the project since they met 5 years ago. The fork isn't... and...then the...well you all know...

Keep up the great work everyone!

Hey Tim,
I could not have stated any better the challenges the Elgin Twins' design poses for mild mods.
I'll be eagerly following your build from the seat post fix to the finish line.
My twin (non build off) has been playing the mock up game forever and remains essentially the same bare metal core frame and pod and shroud as you're tackling now.
My wheel and tire combo has been seemingly married to the project since they met 5 years ago. The fork isn't... and...then the...well you all know...

Keep up the great work everyone!
Let's see some pictures of your mock-ups.

Latest posts

Back