ELGIN TWIN 9

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well since you asked,
This is how mine rests with the Shimano 3 speed and drum wheel set and Hanks, Murray chainring...
IMG_20210802_170135.jpg

OG Elgin fork will need neck stretch surgery and fender some slight stitching. Meanwhile the mystery fork holds its place...and front drum hub, but not readily the OG Elgin fender. CCM 27" truss rods I think.
I have a bare Evansaction fork under consideration but... It's in use on Colson and would need taller tube and wheel/hub choice.
Yada yada yada.
IMG_20210802_170322.jpg

I recently happened across your stalled Silverking build post and thought I'd show that I totally understand there too.
Hey, those truss rods are borrowed from my Colson.
162793764021340695460767492326.jpg

Hey Tim, I found that the Columbia chain guard also fit well with the shape of the Elgin Twin frame shape and left an enticing peak at the BB pod. I imagine a Schwinn Phantom or Wasp type guard may be worth a look too.
It's not so much a bike collection as a mobile parts library around here.
IMG_20210721_172416.jpg

Let's see some pictures of your mock-ups.

Last edited:
I am still looking for a pair of original prewar teardrop pedals, usable original fenders, a Torrington stem, and original white Elgin grips to complete this build. It's looking like I'm not going to find this stuff easily or quickly. I might just have to continue this build in next year's build-off. That will give me time to do this bike the justice it deserves.

1629688432755.png

Since I am far from finished with this build, and I really have no extra time available for the rest of this summer, I will probably just continue this build in next year's build-off. But I did have a little time to do some seat mounting mock-ups the other day. I believe that I have figured out an efficient way to mount the seat so that it is still sprung, where there will be no damage to the frame, and reduces the overall weight by about 3 pounds! Another problem that I am currently experiencing is that I want to use custom "shorty" fenders, but cutting up my nice original fenders is not an option. The fenders are for this bike are very unique and unusual, so I have the difficult task of finding a usable pair to sacrifice. I also am going to custom-mount the original 6-fin EA horn to the stem which will require a custom bracket. I have so many other ideas for the bike, but if I can get the seat and horn mounted, I might submit a mock-up photo in the "finished bike" section. Or I could just submit the best picture of the "BLUE FLAME Special" and start this Elgin build again next year??? We'll have to see how things go between now and then. Cheers!
DSCN1851.JPG
DSCN1853.JPG

I say bring back the Blue Flame Special, since it was your original post there shouldn't be an issue. Use that as your build for BO 16. Don't go any further with the Elgin, save that for BO 17. Edit your thread title, refresh it with some photos and process of the Blue Flame, and then transfer the info and photos to the Finished Bikes thread. Bam! You're done!

I see where your head is now with this saddle mount mock-up.
Wonder if you could use the mounting bracket from a kickstand (one that is shaped to fit over the chainstays. Flip it, place it under the twin top tubes and somehow bolt it to the saddle undercarriage. Then as a secondary attachment point, run a bolt from the rear fender/frame brace attached to the saddle between the rear springs…. Just ‘air designing’

If you could pull this off, it would look SO cool!

Shuffling projects can be good, clears out the ones on which the thinking is just about done and leaves the ones which need more thinking.

I regret not finishing a bike this year (again). It seems that I have just completely lost interest in building bikes. Probably because the ideas just aren't coming to me like they used to. Also dealing with my own psychological issues which seem to be getting worse and worse as time goes on. I want to thank everyone for all the kind words and support through the years, and I hope that I might be in the right state of mind to join in the build-off next year. Peace.

I regret not finishing a bike this year (again). It seems that I have just completely lost interest in building bikes. Probably because the ideas just aren't coming to me like they used to. Also dealing with my own psychological issues which seem to be getting worse and worse as time goes on. I want to thank everyone for all the kind words and support through the years, and I hope that I might be in the right state of mind to join in the build-off next year. Peace.
have been in a similar spot last year... I hope you come around. I would love to see some more @Reallybigtim slammed to the ground madness in the next build off!:rockout:

Big Tim, we always enjoy your contributions to this forum. Everyone goes through creative and inspired 'ups and downs' with the bikes.
The important thing is to take care of yourself, and peace of mind. Some of us might understand more about that than you would imagine. You are part of this family, and we care about you.

Bummed to see you weren't able to finish your Elgin in time. Even more bummed to hear about the rut you're in as far as your mental health and bike-building is concerned. I'm kind of in a similar rut myself, so I have an idea of what you're going through. Like the others said, take care of yourself, however you need to do it. We all care about you dude.

I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I wanted to touch base with everyone here and thank you all for your support and kind words last year. I do feel that I am in a better place this year. Since nice weather is almost here in Ohio, I have actually been wanting to build something again. I have acquired another Wingbar frame, and my old '51 Shelby Flying Cloud frame that started my rat rod obsession so many years ago. I do plan on entering something in the summer build-off (probably last year's unfinished Twin Bar project). Every day is a struggle, but it's very comforting to be back in a healthy enough state of mind to build something again. Thanks to all!

I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I wanted to touch base with everyone here and thank you all for your support and kind words last year. I do feel that I am in a better place this year. Since nice weather is almost here in Ohio, I have actually been wanting to build something again. I have acquired another Wingbar frame, and my old '51 Shelby Flying Cloud frame that started my rat rod obsession so many years ago. I do plan on entering something in the summer build-off (probably last year's unfinished Twin Bar project). Every day is a struggle, but it's very comforting to be back in a healthy enough state of mind to build something again. Thanks to all!
Glad to hear you're doing better. Sounds like you've got some sweet new projects to play with, too! I'm looking forward to seeing you in the next Build Off!

Latest posts

Back