Eliminator-I found RamHorns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I have been absent from the forum for a bit now, and I think it's time to get off my butt and do something. Here it is, my first Murray/Huffy Style Muscle bike and i just can's get enough of this bike. The sweetness level is off the scale, as you can see the guy I traded the bike from went a little spray paint crazy, and I have been slowly scrubbing the spray paint off with gasoline, so I can save the awesome blue patina, nothing like a gasoline high :crazy2:. The serial number is M95260X10274002 so if any one could tell me what year it was built in, that would be awesome. This was in the Builds thread but I might as well join in on the fun.
IMG_4643_zpsmubhbdxd.jpg

IMG_4644_zpsbymjpps8.jpg

IMG_4645_zpsbpoq9wtr.jpg

Cool bike to have fun with.
Welcome to the madness

Made some progress in the last two days, got most of the spray paint off the frame and fork. The patina is ok but most of the blue paint is gone only the silver primer is left. Still cool looking but better then cheep green spray paint. I also polished most of the chrome.
IMG_4647_zpsjg0tgsxj.jpg

IMG_4649_zps5je1blmc.jpg

IMG_4650_zps22mtxlqt.jpg

IMG_4664_zpssnysliep.jpg

IMG_4651_zpszjomaqur.jpg

These pedals took me 2 hours to take off, and lots of Penetrant oil.
IMG_4653_zpsnpj8qvrl.jpg

All the little bits and parts have been soaking in gasoline to try to remove the over spray.
IMG_4655_zpsf6pimxpw.jpg

IMG_4656_zpse92lwwwj.jpg

So much over spray. After this bike I'm officially anti-Spray-Paint-Bombing old bikes like this :mad:
IMG_4658_zpspyxblrue.jpg

IMG_4659_zpsjpbijnr9.jpg

This is the wheel set that was on the bike: 16 inch in front, 20 inch in back. I put a 20 inch wheel in front but I don't have enough clearance.
IMG_4662_zpsibeaxj4c.jpg

Here is one of my wheel tire combo ideas, a sting ray Jr rear wheel S-7 with a NOS Scrambler tire, or a Duro Slick with the 70's Bendex wheel. Tell me what you guys think.
IMG_4663_zps8hpsuzvi.jpg

IMG_4666_zps8d6lfuqw.jpg

And of course I have to add the Gard, don't know what do with it yet but I think it completes the bike.

Not a serial number expert but I do remember trash picking one of those frames in the mide 70's. Never had the chance to do anything with it.

I like the knobby, but the Duro Slick probably goes better with a muscle bike. I like them both.
That guard is sweet! I would try easy off oven cleaner instead of gas, though.
+2
Funny, that is exactly what I was thinking before I made it down to this post.:21:

Not a serial number expert but I do remember trash picking one of those frames in the mide 70's. Never had the chance to do anything with it.

Ya that sounds right, I have been doing some research on the bike and I know that they were built for WesternFlyer by Murray from 1968 to 1969. The bike is really just a Murray Eliminator that was rebranded by WesternFlyer thats why this one is called a Buzz Bike Eliminator, that way it could be sold in western Auto Stores.

Always liked the eliminator frame,good luck with your build

The guard definitely will make the bike, and the graphics are pretty good compared to the others I've seen. Be careful as the graphics may rub off easily when cleaning it.

So I'm dead in the water unless one of you guys has a solution, the seat post is stuck and won't come out at all. It's been two days and a half a bottle of Liquid Wrench, and today I went at it with a pipe Wrench and a cheater bar and this happened. My theory is that some one pounded a slightly bigger seat post in to the tubing, and over time rust and the fact that it's to big have grounded my plans.
To continue I have to have the seat post out.
IMG_4675_zpstjdornfa.jpg
IMG_4677_zpswycfxfop.jpg

First off, welcome to the build-off!

If no other solution appears for your seat post, someone in one of the smaller build-off's drilled a hole in the bottom of the bottom bracket and put a piece of round rod through the bottom bracket and up the seat tube and pounded the post out from the bottom... They then welded up the hole in the bottom bracket.

It's a fairly extreme solution, but if all else fails...

Luke.

Tape up the seam between the post and seat tube, turn the bike upside down and pour vinegar in the bottom bracket. Wait 2 day. Dump it out, blast with h20. blast with compressed air. Now cover it with pb blaster and wait for as long as you can. Put the seat tube in a vice with the bike upside down and go slow. Dont know how much it helps, but i like to beat the bike with a rubber mallet from time to time throughout the process.

Chimeracycle seems to have a good plan. Gravity can be your friend and pull the oil into the rust area. #1 rule working with rusty old things, give the penetrating oil time to work. Go do something else and let it set for a couple days. Check it periodically , give it a little twist or tap. Should free up.:thumbsup:

Well I sorted out the problem with the seat post, some one pounded a really long post in. So I have to drop the frame off at a machine shop with a drill press so they can bore the seat post out. The frame needs some welding work as well so I can kill two birds with one stone.
IMG_4678_zpsyuulbvvx.jpg

My thumb marks were the seat post ends.
IMG_4679_zpswhmmyjjo.jpg

IMG_4680_zpsqgqzhxon.jpg

On the bright side I got my head badge, and rebuilt my wheels.
IMG_4683_zpsgg8tdx3n.jpg

IMG_4684_zpsrua0r6ep.jpg

IMG_4685_zpswnqmvil1.jpg

IMG_4686_zpskybv0dqv.jpg

IMG_4687_zpspfamfjyr.jpg

IMG_4688_zpspakysw9i.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back