Elpis Custom Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a limited series of cruisers that will be up for sale on a few sites including this one. Every bike comes with a warranty and a numbered certificate. The first frame style will be the cruiser Oswald below. If you'd be interested in purchasing one just drop me a line. Anyway here is the progression thread for the first one of the 5 that will be produced. Enjoy :D
raw stock tubing :D
1116.jpg

basic layout after rolling the tubes
1117.jpg

mocked up as a roller and made sure she rode straight and true
1118.jpg

fill the gap for the chainstays
1119.jpg

chainstays on
1120.jpg

and voila! a rolling chassis :D
1121.jpg

now for some buffing and making those welds look their prettiest :p Some different bars for sure haha more to come!

So was playing around with some ideas today after getting the welds buttoned up and straightening the seat tube because it was a little off center :( Didn't take much to get everything back in line. Then I was looking at my 70's Atala and wondered what shed look like with some 700c's on her. So naturally I tore town the Atala ( my daily rider :( ) and changed out the forks and stem. This is what she looked like...
020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

Now I'm kind of torn on which to do, I love the look of the Fat Franks and triple clamps but I also love the vintage look that is attained with the 700c's...What do you cats think. Could use some constructive criticism.

awesome build man really diggin it :)
imo the triplefork looks better but i like the bars you used on the other fork cuz those flows better with the frame, maybe try to put these two together? :)

Thanks! Been dying to see some pics of your project, hows that going? that bottom bracket fabrication is top notch, been dying to see more! I was going to maybe try out something my bud did with his Electra Rat Rod. He threw a 26x3 slick on the back of it with a 700c front. It looks amazing and rides like a tank! Its also probably the longest bike I have seen...that is until I made this old girl :p I'd like to get my hands on a 700 all white :) maybe this week :p. If he'll let me I'll post up pics of his Rat Rod. Its brutal!

I did a quick bar swap for now :) I love them and they ride much better...
032.jpg

031.jpg

now we're talking, that looks really good :)
about my project... :p new problems constantly, my welding teacher hasn't ordered any tubes for my frame yet and he's recently let me know that the workshop in school is booked nearly all the time which causes a little speedbump for my project :p
while i'm waiting for the tubes i'm gonna continue on building small things for the bike like i did with the BB shell, for example i'm gonna try puting a triplefork together and also i'm still thinking about widen a 16" rim, adding a extra lip to it to make it 17" and then put a motorcycle wheel on it. Then i have some more minor thing to work with, like lights etc :)

Nice bike, I prefer the triple clamps too. I esp like that you have brazed the frame rather than the usual mig welded. I hope you sell them them easily.

I am puzzled as to why so little interest from the usual members in your work? You have built from scratch and used a good number of skills, surely other members should be giving you the same positive response they give each other!!

UnDerzon3- I thought so too. I love the Franks and they ride sooo nice! Just keep after that welding teacher, mine was awesome in school. We had a sick metals shop and he taught me a lot. So its glad to see that schools still offer metals, because honestly I'd be lost today without it :D. I love the idea of widening your own rim, Id like to try that as well but seeing as I only have Oxy-Acetylene welder, I dont think a rim would hold shape too well :p

Wolf- I'm just glad that people like the bike! haha, However many isn't too relevant to me. Any positive comment goes a long way :D so thank you much for yours! You have some wicked sick creations yourself! As for selling them, hopefully stars align and all goes well, Having my buddy help me out with a website here so hopefully things take off. Bicycles are my passion and I'll just be happy if people like them! :D

it will be really fun to try my ideas for the rim and hopefully i get to try it rather soon but enough about my project now :p
are you using some sort of jig when building frames or are you just going by feeling when you put the frame together?

For now its all line of sight, I plan to get a jig made up here soon, but for this one I just tacked and then made sure she was straight before continuing. It takes a little more time making sure you're in alignment but if you are careful you can pull it off.

ok thx, been thinking about bilding a jig but since i'm on a timeschedule that would maybe take a little to much time of from the acuall framebuild. On the other hand, rebuild the frame cuz it isn't straight would take some time aswell :p
will probably skip the jig and try putting it together anyways :)

zelkmaster said:
Sick Bike :D
Thanks man! Your Black Pearl is absolutely rolling awesome!

I think the bike looks great. Can you tell me the length from axel to axel. I may be interested and have a few other people looking for custom frames. Are they mild steel? and what size is the tubing.

Thanks JR

This frame measures 4' 5'' from axle to axle all made from cold rolled mild steel. If you have any ideas for a frame you would like to see just PM me with some ideas or a rough sketch and we can get you rolling!

HotRodRob said:
Great job man! I'd like to get a stretch one of these days.

Yeah shes a Cadillac! Thanks for the kind words man :D

Glad you like it, I've since put brakes on the front, it has a coaster hub on the rear, changed a few other things as well. Will post pics as soon as able. :D

Latest posts

Back