ENIGMA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was up most of the night thinking about what to do with the bike's stance? I waited for the sun to come up this morning and took another look at the mockup. I have conceded to this direction. Now I just need to figure out how to attach the rear wheel to the frame?:)

Weld my fork to the rear.:21::21::21::21:

Weld a triangle plate or another section of stays with track style drop out rotated back some.
Yeah, I was just thinking about doing that, as a bolt on - no welding to the frame.

Last edited:
Nice lines.:thumbsup:

Why no welding to the frame?

I’m old skool, I like challenging myself to think outside the box. It’s an easy solution to modify a frame with cutting and welding, but you have to be very creative to transform it without torching or chopping it!

Last edited:
I guess if it were me, I'd fabricate a subframe similar in concept to the Xtra-Cycle design, and have that bolt onto the dropouts and chainstay (or seatstay) bridge. You can always clamp braces to the seatstays themselves if you need reinforcement.

You might have trouble with the chain line in that position (looks like from the chain stays), but you can use an idler or something to go around any frame obstacles.

That really did represent that best stance, though, so I think you're on the right track.

would doing something similar to what kingfish did with flexyliner
work
where he made a rear springer that attaches to the seat clamp with a pivot extension bolted on
just make the pivot longer and the spring attachment shorter

How about picking up that drop stand in the next to last picture for me!

Is this where you work on your builds?

Ok, I got to go back anyway. I'll check on the drop stand for you. Just know it's not a cycle truck vintage. Regarding the space where I work...I work out of my storage and my home.

Ok, I got to go back anyway. I'll check on the drop stand for you. Just know it's not a cycle truck vintage. Regarding the space where I work...I work out of my storage and my home.

Cool!:cool2:

Did you ever finish your rat rod truck? I went back and found the picture, is that your storage/work space?
RatRod.jpg

Last edited:
I’m old skool, I like challenging myself to think outside the box. It’s an easy solution to modify a frame with cutting and welding, but you have to be very creative to transform it without torching or chopping it!

Fordsnake like your approach to building. It definitely is more challenging to build without the weld/chop method. I use the bolt on method for mods whenever possible.

Cool!:cool2:

Did you ever finish your rat rod truck? I went back and found the picture, is that your storage/work space?

Nope, its still sitting there...the last thing done was adding the suicide doors a few weeks ago. This bike build will fit in the truck's bed when done.

How about picking up that drop stand in the next to last picture for me!

I just returned home from the co-op bike shop...the stand wasn't there, it mysteriously disappeared. (Also it wasn't a drop stand...it was a handrail for kid carrier). The funny thing, no one knew what happened to it since this morning? But they'll keep an eye open for it. After spending three hours talking to the guys...I've now a volunteer worker!:):)

I guess if it were me, I'd fabricate a subframe similar in concept to the Xtra-Cycle design, and have that bolt onto the dropouts and chainstay (or seatstay) bridge. You can always clamp braces to the seatstays themselves if you need reinforcement.

That's a thought?

Latest posts

Back