Extend a shifter cable?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a 5 speed stick shifter off ebay, and it is a tad to short. I can of course move it back, but to keep it where I want I will need to extend it a bit. I'm not sure how to get in and change the cable or I would, so I was hoping I could just use something to extend the cable. It's a Shimano 333 5 speed click shifter. Anyone know if I can just extend the cable or know how to change it?

Cool!
With most of the shifters you can push the innercable out when its in first gear.
Can you post a picture of the shifter and how the inner cable goes through?

Cool!
With most of the shifters you can push the innercable out when its in first gear.
Can you post a picture of the shifter and how the inner cable goes through?
I don't have it on me right now. It's currently at my parents house, where there is breathing room to work on the bike. I had other issues so it's just sitting there, the new back wheel i got (which is an e bike wheel) is way too wide to fit, because it is for a fat bike, not a standard wheel as the description and pictures showed in the items listing. currently waiting for the 5 speed derailleur to show up, and to send the wrong wheel or entire kit back and get the correct stuff there, then it's back to dealing with cables.

i did attach what I think might help from the ebay listing though.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 54
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 50
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 54
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 47
You'll need a new cable and housing (should come with the cable) to make it longer.

The bracket in the little plastic bag looks like it's for a 3 speed type setup. Your 5 speed cable housing should go right on the derailleur to hook up. Then add some zip ties or something fancier to hold the cable to the frame.

The size of the end nub in the shifter is what you need to have the same size. I think if you shift all the way forward (or back as Frankie mentioned) you can access the end, it slides out sideways and then the cable gets pulled out of the housing all the way. That's how the new one goes in, cable through the shifter housing then through the cable housing.

All the new cables I get are either shift cables or brake cables, the shift cables have smaller nubs on the ends. But I remember shifters from way back when that used larger nubs on the cables, so it's best to check the size of the old one for a match. If it's a large nub, a rear brake cable will probably work and be long enough.

You'll need a new cable and housing (should come with the cable) to make it longer.

The bracket in the little plastic bag looks like it's for a 3 speed type setup. Your 5 speed cable housing should go right on the derailleur to hook up. Then add some zip ties or something fancier to hold the cable to the frame.

The size of the end nub in the shifter is what you need to have the same size. I think if you shift all the way forward (or back as Frankie mentioned) you can access the end, it slides out sideways and then the cable gets pulled out of the housing all the way. That's how the new one goes in, cable through the shifter housing then through the cable housing.

All the new cables I get are either shift cables or brake cables, the shift cables have smaller nubs on the ends. But I remember shifters from way back when that used larger nubs on the cables, so it's best to check the size of the old one for a match. If it's a large nub, a rear brake cable will probably work and be long enough.
What he said☝️😅

Latest posts

Back