Extended Cruise - Added to Finished Build Thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Traveler has never been a tourist. Obviously adventures have been sought that led to the kind of places the majority of locals avoid. Tired and worn, maybe it's time to leave the back-roads and paths less traveled to those more willing and able. Time to appropriate the tourist's laid back pace and approach. Swap the dusty whisky for a mudslide beside the pool. Maybe even head out to sea where I hear the buffet is never ending. That would probably do quite well. A nice long vacation. You could even call it an Extended Cruise.

07_freewheel.jpg

06_crank.jpg

05_seat.jpg

04_barStem.jpg

03_frntBrake.jpg

02_headbadge.jpg

01_side.jpg

That's a pretty tall one! I have two. Redbird isn't as tall and I think my Blues Traveler might be taller. Sweet platforms though. Sentiment keeps me from cutting mine up, they make nice chop parts too. Extended Cruiser?

Carl.

Great intro story! Like Carl said ^, hope you're tall! That head tube has to be like 12" long!

Looking forward to seeing how you 'civilize' her...

That's a pretty tall one! I have two. Redbird isn't as tall and I think my Blues Traveler might be taller. Sweet platforms though. Sentiment keeps me from cutting mine up, they make nice chop parts too. Extended Cruiser?

Carl.

Extended / stretch cruiser, something like that. Not low or patina'd enough to be considered a burrito. But I guess it will have elements of one, like the taller and thin road wheels.

I picked this out of the garbage and it's in pretty rough shape so I don't feel too bad about chopping it up. Definitely understand a sentimental attachment though. I have a Traveler III that I've had since new and that's in pretty close to as new condition. I remember riding it to my then girlfriend's, now wife's, mother's house back when we were in high school... like thirty five plus years ago! Yea, wouldn't cut-up or part with that one.

Great intro story! Like Carl said ^, hope you're tall! That head tube has to be like 12" long!

Looking forward to seeing how you 'civilize' her...

Thanks. If I left the frame like that I'd need platform shoes to ride it!

Cool start! What are the plans?

Here's a couple drawings and rough 3D model images showing where I'm headed. I'm kinda best guessing the seat-crank-handlebar positions. There will probably be adjustments along the way. I also plan to smooth and paint it too... if time allows!

Figuring out how the donor frame will be chopped and reassembled.

frameChopDetail.jpg

Side view dimensioned to establish seat-crank-bar approximate locations and head tube angle.

dimensionedDrwg.jpg

A couple rough 3D model images to get an overall feel.

3Drear3qtr.jpg

3Dsideview.jpg

Design looks good! the distance from the seat to the cranks may be a little short though, depends on your riding style and the condition of your knees!

Thanks. My knees feel young but I want to keep them that way! Took a closer look as I started to mock-up the actual frame. I think I can gain some room by moving the bottom bracket forward and down a little. Should still be able to clear the front tire with my toes. Pedal scraping I think just comes with the territory. I also revised the mid-bar to a more gentle curve. This let me leave the seat post longer so I'll be able to move the seat up and back further for even more room.

Trimming, Fitting and Welding

05_frame.jpg

08_frame.jpg

15_frame.jpg

Before and After Weld-up of Seat Post, Mid and Bottom Bars

10_seatPostMidBtmTubes.jpg

11_seatPostMidBtmTubes.jpg

Chain Stay Details

I used an old fork for the legs. The "wishbone" came from the seat stay of a 20" BMX. I slit the bottom of the "wishbone", insert the fork legs into the ends and filled the seam with weld bead.

01_rearChainstay.jpg

02_rearChainstay.jpg

Chain Stay, Mid and Bottom Bar Intersection

12_rearChainstay.jpg

Bottom Bar Front Curve

I used the section I cut from the Traveler frame seat post for this curved section. The roller dies I have are for a larger diameter tube. This got a little squished even though I filled it with sand and capped the ends. I think it will still work though.

03_bottomTube.jpg

Seat Post Details

I used a couple seat posts from other donors. These were combined to extend the post back from the top tube and provide a way to clamp the seat post. Not sure yet if I'll make some type of gusset or just bend the seat stays parallel to the top bar at the ends.

07_seatPost.jpg

13_seatPost.jpg

Back