Fat Tire Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across my old Fat Tire Flyer T shirt that I bought in the early '80's when I had a subscription to their magazine. Anybody else still have one?
IMG_0782.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG

Wowsers that's a classic, old school cool! I love the Stumpjumper reference. Most aren't aware that before Stumpjumper was a legendary bike, it was a legendary tire!
Stumpjumper_ad3.jpg

I think Charlie Kelly made pdf versions of the first 6 editions of the mag, I wonder if I can remember where I saved them...

Last edited:
Wowsers that's a classic, old school cool! I love the Stumpjumper reference. Most aren't aware that before Stumpjumper was a legendary bike, it was a legendary tire!
View attachment 145893

I think Charlie Kelly made pdf versions of the first 6 editions of the mag, I wonder if I can remember where I saved them...
That's cool,when I was into road bikes in the early '80's I had a sub to Bicycling magazine and was reading about these "new" mountainbikes they were testing and I could not wait so I built one using an old raleigh frame and 26" BMX rims and derailleurs.
The first Mountainbike to show up in the local bike shops was the Cannondale and it had a 24" rear rim and 26" front, I didn't like those so I waited for the StumpJumper and bought one as soon as they showed up.
It got stolen and I replaced it with a Kuwahara Sierra Grande that still have.$1000 for a mountainbike back then was thought to be big bucks.
Anyway ,enough of the "Glory Days".Lol.

Last edited:
Just read through issue 1. There is a "hot bikes" section describing some stolen bikes. The descriptions sound like build-a-klunker instructions.
"A rusty red Schwinn with Atom rear drum and Worksman front drum, fork braces, five speed, and black mx style bars. Call ..."
But this one really caught me:
"Tom Murray had his Tom Ritchey bike stolen from in front of Sunshine Bike Works in March. This frame is identifiable by its lugless construction,. oversize tubing on the top and down tubes, brazed on cable guides, and european sized (Phil Wood) bottom bracket. This bike will not have a Ritchey decal on it. Call..."
I'm tempted to call the number, 1 to comiserate with the poor person who lost that custom frame, and 2 to find out if it's still out there in some tweaker's stash!
I'm not even going to start with the classifieds section!

If youseguyz want to download your oun, I found my directions on how to get em. Enter this in your browser
Http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/ckimages/And add ftf01.pdf after the slash to download issue 1, ftf02.pdf for issue 2 etc.
Hope that makes sense. They're a fun read, race reports, ride reports, classified ads for Alan Bond's custom Klunker Paint jobs etc

Edit: it keeps turning the text into a link in my instructions. The link won't work on it's own, you gotta follow the instructions.

That's some great info, I am going to read those.I looked once for my magazines but I think I foolishly gave them away. I remember how cool the mag was and covered a lot of the clunker and Marin county scene.
Thanks Matti.

Latest posts

Back