Fat Tire Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a Mongoose fat tire bike that I was thinking of using the tires for on a trike conversion. My question is can the hubs these wheel be converted to to work on the rear of a trike? Anyone do this before or know of an easier way to make a fat tire trike? Thanks!

You might (probably) need to lace up some custom wheels for that. Most trikes use a totally different kind of hub. You can't just put regular wheels on a trike axle.

This video shows a trike hub pretty nicely about a minute and a half in:

Figured I would have to lace up something. I was hoping that maybe I could get away with replacing the guts in the hubs though.

Good luck, I'd sure like to know if you come across a way to do it! But, I think the inner diameter of the hollow hub is too big. On a Worksman, I believe the axles are either 5/8 or 3/4 depending on vintage. The axle will be too big to get it through a regular hub. You might be able to convert a hollow hub to fit a regular bike, but not vice versa.

Looking more and more like I will just have to get the hollow hubs and relace the wheels. Never done that before but what the heck. What's the worst that could happen? I screw it up and pay someone to do it correctly?

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

They will work as long as the rim has the same number of holes. You have to lace the rim onto the trike hub. If you search my posts you can see where I have done it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks. Maybe this weekend I'll have a chance to look at the ring more closely and count holes then compare to he hollow hubs online.

Thanks. Maybe this weekend I'll have a chance to look at the ring more closely and count holes then compare to he hollow hubs online.

I am pretty sure the hubs are normally 36 hole.

Latest posts

Back