FATRAT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FATRAT - updated May 8

Thanks for the comments. Even though I've been planning this bike in my head for a while, it all started to look right (to me) when I fitted the wheels and tires. I'm certainly aiming for a "cartoony" style with this bike emanon, and I think it's getting there. Lots more to come yet.......some things will be very obvious, others more subtle :wink: .

socal_jack said:
What an improvement, maybe could use a beefier fork to match up with the fat pipe in the frame, stilllooks good though.

Thanks, socal jack. The finished fork will be very "beefy" indeed :D .

I mocked up the FATRAT with some of the new parts I fabricated - leaf springer, faux cantilever tubes and a couple of other things, no pics yet though, not sure if I'll even post them. While it was starting to look good, and exactly as I had planned.........it was also starting to look a lot like some of the bikes on this site that I have been inspired by. Also it looks like there's gonna be a few bare metal bikes and a couple with rear springers as well........ Soooo........a whole new direction 8).

bean said:
I mocked up the FATRAT with some of the new parts I fabricated - leaf springer, faux cantilever tubes and a couple of other things, no pics yet though, not sure if I'll even post them. While it was starting to look good, and exactly as I had planned.........it was also starting to look a lot like some of the bikes on this site that I have been inspired by. Also it looks like there's gonna be a few bare metal bikes and a couple with rear springers as well........ Soooo........a whole new direction 8).

Here's a pic of a quick mock-up I did (without the fork rockers and strut/truss rods). I was also starting to build a rear springer, and have almost finished a handmade copper headlight dome and tank (I'll keep these for a future build).

The new direction will be Less is More.

IMGA0256.jpg

Re: FATRAT - updated May 23

my saying has always been k.i.s.s.(keep it simple stupid.........and no im not calling you stupid!) and it seems to work really well :mrgreen:

i try to go by the same saying kiss but it never works out that way so i guess u could call me stupid :D

aka_locojoe said:
I think you add to much to this and the fat tires will loose the emphasis which is what makes this bike IMHO.

Yep, that's exactly what started to happen. Every extra part that I added took your eyes away from the tires :( . I also removed the cable lugs and brake and stand mounts yesterday......much cleaner now 8) . When I got the rear wheel built it was dished to give chain clearance, so I'm hoping to play around with the BB today and get a good chainline. Then I can ride it for a week or so before I start stripping it down for detailing and painting.

I've been riding this thing for 10 days now, and don't want to strip it down for paint....I just want to keep riding it!! I''ve never ridden in a Cadillac for a comparison, but I think this bike would be just as smooth 8) . I'm still not sure what saddle I'll use, as I think the Rolls I bought for it is going to look a bit narrow. The roadster style saddle I've got on it looks a bit beefier, and it's real comfy.
The next job is decide on a color. It was initially going to be bare metal with some blueing, but I'm not so sure now........some of the modern colors being used on new BMX bikes look pretty good :? :? :? .

Re: FATRAT - updated June 23

With only 5 weeks left, I thought I'd better strip this down and get it ready for paint. The school semester is nearly over and we'll be away for at least a week, so I'd better get some color on it as soon as I can to give it some curing time before re-assembly.
I fabricated a brake arm bracket and have removed all the brake bosses, cable guides and fender and stand mounts...........mo clean 8) . I've made a total U-turn from the original plan and have taken stuff off the frame rather than add to it. All small dents, nicks etc have been filled with brass, as I don't want any putty on the frame (still have more filing/sanding to do).
I still haven't made a final decision on color, but am leaning towards orange.........or cream.......or aqua :?: :?: :?:.

Brake bosses and fender mounts removed.
IMGA0273.jpg

Dents/imperfections filled with brass.
IMGA0271.jpg

Coaster brake attachment bracket (does that make sense?).
IMGA0268.jpg

From other side (MIG welded, then covered with brass and file finished).
IMGA0269.jpg

Re: FATRAT - updated July 12 (Paint)

Painted!!!!!!
Now all I have to do is wait, wait, wait :( for the paint to harden before the assembly.

Used these
IMGA0283.jpg

4 coats of color and 3 of clear
IMGA0285.jpg

That looks a lot like what I started with. I like the color you painted it.
100_0317.jpg

100_0595.jpg

JoeyMac said:
Wow you painted it tomorrow and already posted it? ;)

Nice color!

Nope, it's the 12th here on my side of the world. We're always just that little bit in front of you guys :wink: .

Latest posts

Back