Faux patina?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know and I'm all for it, no faux patina.
But some times one needs to fix something and that fix needs to be "fixed" 🤔, you know.
I've used several paints and paint combinations but still looking for a better but also quick method.
I can make rust but it takes some time and I need it now 🤪.

@OddJob is the man for the job. He's got patina makers, patina fakers, you name it. As far as speed is concerned, he hasn't finished off this year's bike yet, so...

I know and I'm all for it, no faux patina.
But some times one needs to fix something and that fix needs to be "fixed" 🤔, you know.
I've used several paints and paint combinations but still looking for a better but also quick method.
I can make rust but it takes some time and I need it now 🤪.
What's so funny?
U prefer faux over authentic.?

Not sure what look youre going for. If its paint, Brown primer as base, mist some areas black, apply your color then whip it with a chain to create paint dings, and sand thru high wear areas

The hammertone brown is also nice, it creates a textured finish, when topvoated with bike color and sanded thru it leaves a lumpy finish like corrosion.

If you want rust, take it to bare metal then go ride it, wont take long.

I've got one marinating in the rafters. Sanded it down, left the grit on the steel, moving it around a little with a wet, worn out sanding sponge.
IMG_20210724_095149616.jpg

It's going slower than I'd like, might attempt OddJob's peroxide and vinegar spray to speed it up in a few spots. Not sure, I don't want a lot of crust, just some color under my eventual clear coat. Right now, it has all the charm of a fence post

You could use vinegar on bare metal. Mix with salt to age it even faster.

cYKbIQw.jpg

CSOKw0m.jpg

This is gloss over rusty red primer. Once the top coat was dry to the touch but not totally hard I used the edge of a knife blade to scrape away the paint. For a few of the rub marks I used coarse sandpaper folded to an edge. Once the paint has set a bit I hit the whole thing with some scotchbrite to take away most of the gloss.

Here's one I did last year. Started with a shiny red aluminum frame and faux-tina'd it into a crusty old green frame. Sanded through the green and white to the rusty brown in places and sprayed rust and grime colors over the green and white. Some places were treated to ketchup, mustard or buttermilk between the rusty colored base and the green or white .
IMG_20200512_185220.jpg
20200628_153858.jpg
20200828_122056.jpg

Some times we are faced with decisions on these bikes that others won’t agree with, I recently purchased a 20s motorbike that hand been bastardized with krylon and latex for the past 40 years. It had previously been sanded to bare metal, so there was no recovering the paint. I paint for a living, and decided to give it a fauxtina paint. It just didn’t look right all shiney with the base/ clear. It is a process, but can be tastefully done with water base and solvent based paints. Some stencils, and water effects are used.
0FE7C5AE-E236-436C-B356-B5DFC2A42AEE.jpeg
234716F3-C682-4DFE-A468-0E04C7EA98D2.jpeg

Here's one I did last year. Started with a shiny red aluminum frame and faux-tina'd it into a crusty old green frame. Sanded through the green and white to the rusty brown in places and sprayed rust and grime colors over the green and white. Some places were treated to ketchup, mustard or buttermilk between the rusty colored base and the green or white .
View attachment 166117View attachment 166118View attachment 166114
Love the bike. Is there a build log anywhere ?

Latest posts

Back