Felt cruiser kickstand problems?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experienced a problem today with my Felt cruiser kickstand. I decided to armorall the tires and when I went to wipe them down, the next thing I knew my bike was falling over. What happened was that the kickstand simply rotated 360 degrees and the bike fell. It scuffed the seat a little and of course I was a bit upset.

I have never had a bicycle with a kickstand that even COULD rotate 360*.

What I'm saying here is that when a person engages a kickstand, it comes down in a clockwise motion and clicks into place. It does not continue in a clockwise motion 360* around to the "up" position.....

.....well the kickstand on my Felt cruiser can and will do just that. It doesn't take much pressure at all to get it to go all the way around either. :x

I'm even worried to leave it setting on the kickstand at all at this point.

Does anyone have any sort of suggestion as to how I can fix this? Has anyone else here experienced a similar problem with Felt kickstands?

:cry:

any chance we can get a pic? like ya said, ususally they don't swivel unless there loose of installed incorrectly.

icyuod2 said:
any chance we can get a pic? like ya said, ususally they don't swivel unless there loose of installed incorrectly.

Sure thing.

Here is a pic that sort of shows what sort of kickstand it is.

TwoBikes.jpg

I hope this is the right place to post about this sort of thing. I'm sorry if it isn't. I got to thinking about it and this bike isn't a rat rod....

....of course with the kickstand allowing it to fall like it does, it may achieve rat rod status sooner than expected. :wink:

Also,
If someone could point me in the right direction on how to dissassmble this style of kickstand, I'd really appreciate it. I know there must be a trick to it, but I've just never done one of these types before. If I can take it apart, I can figure out a fix for it I'm sure.

In case you can't tell from the picture,the kickstand has all it's internals contained in a little tube that is welded to the bottom of the frame. It looks trick, but at this point I'd much rather prefer the old bolt on type with the big flanges if you know what I mean.

there should be a cotter pin or c-clip holding all the intenal workings. (should be on the end of the kick stand/back side of the tube) sorry dont have a felt myself and can't give you an exact placement.

icyuod2 said:
there should be a cotter pin or c-clip holding all the intenal workings. (should be on the end of the kick stand/back side of the tube) sorry dont have a felt myself and can't give you an exact placement.

There is what appears to be a pin/post stuck in the bottom of the tube. It's not a cotter pin. I tried to pull it out but it didn't come out. I'm sure there must be a trick to getting it out and I just don't know what it is.

kram said:
I could be wrong but I think felt uses kickstands like the old Schwinns. To get the pin out you have to compress the spring http://www.bunchobikes.com/repair2.htm

hes right, sounds like either the stop pin or the pin stop is messed up.

there is a cheaper tool too, $12 maple island sales used to have them and i believe you can get them from other places too.
link

heres an overpriced one on ebay with pics of how they work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

I have had the same problem w/ my Felt Torch. Yes it is exactly the same as a Schwinn Kickstand, with one exception. The "sprague" unit that slides in first and which the kickstand seats into, is not made as well as the Schwinn unit. It is made from a softer metal, and therefore it rounds over at the point where the pin seats at a stop position. The fix for me was to go through my stash of spragues and pins and match one up exactly. This is a little harder than it sounds, they are not all exactly the same. Not all kickstands hinge into the same resting (up) position, hence the difference.Any of the tools mentioned will work for you, the sprague has a series of lines on one of the three sides, these will always go downward toward the bottom of the bike when installing. I guess you will need to find a Schwinn addict and see if you can go through his stash or order one from felt and go easier on it! Later & PEACE!!!! :wink:

Thanks for all the info. You guys are very helpful. It figures I'd need a special tool to do it. I guess it also figures that older components from the Schwinns was tougher. :?

Whats up Social Reject- (heh doesn't sound like a friendly introduction, but it is)

The tool I use to remove Schwinn stands is very simple. It helps that I have access to the right size tubing to make as many of the tools as I or other people need.

I use 5/8" stainless steel tubing. It's 1/2" diameter and that's perfect for fitting over the rod of the kickstand.

I cut a 1" (or a little less, doesn't have to be precise) section, and then carefully using a cutoff wheel in my grinder, I cut it into a long C channel. You want to cut it not in half, but more into a U- the sides should be longer than halfway around, but it's open to the center. If that's not clear, imagine cutting it like this: c==
The equals signs are the cutting blade going straight into the side of the tube.

When it's done, it will fit snugly around the kickstand at the bend at the top. Then you compress the tool against the frame tube using a vise or LARGE channel-lock pliers.

You will want to use tape or cloth or something to protect the paint on the far end of the frame tube.

There is significant spring pressure, and if you aren't careful (or have another person helping, preferably) it could walk out to the side. The stand isn't going to go anywhere if it's suddenly released, as the pieces are captive on the rod. But you do have to compress it quite a bit to get the pin in when installing.

Good luck, hope this helps. If you'd like me to make one, I can do that for you.

--Rob

Both of my Felts have the same crappy kickstand. My coaster brake locked up in the fallen stand and left me brakeless last weekend. (I'f I'd had the wherewithall to half-crank forward I may have gotten brakes back, but didn't at the time....) I came rolling towards my house at top speed, before I was aware of my lack of brakes, and had nowhere to turn. I went into the garage, dodged the motorcycles, kegerator and tool chest, bounced up the four steps to the main floor and blasted the fire door out of the frame. I thought I was gonna kill myself! I'm waiting to hear of a better proven fix for these, before I spend money on new poorly made kickstands. Until then, these are removed and put in the parts bin.

I feel really bad for pointlessly telling you all.

I've not owned a bike that even had the ability to HAVE a kick stand since I was in high school.

When I see the mount for it on the Felt Canvas, all I think is GRINDER TIME.

SomaGroove said:
I feel really bad for pointlessly telling you all.

I've not owned a bike that even had the ability to HAVE a kick stand since I was in high school.

When I see the mount for it on the Felt Canvas, all I think is GRINDER TIME.

I know, I know.... Itook them off all my bikes growing up, dirt bikes, mtn bikes, even my first ten speed. I'm just now getting back into bikes and feel compelled to keep the kickstands on em for some reason. Different kind of bike, maybe I got old, but I don't like the idea of laying them on the ground. These Felts are now a safety issue so I'm gonna have to pull em.

there are some really quality aftermarket ones I'm not totally against.

Though Its funny to me to see a 6,000 dollar downhill bike laid on it's side when a 100 dollar Wal Mart bike gets a kick stand.

On the other side of it... Fabricating new ways to "Kickstand" a bike might be fun...

Retread, that must have been a scary moment

I know some of my felt bikes have the kickstand come down a bit when I go over bumps. Never thought much about it, but now I see how things can get crazy real fast.

umh...i revoved it and remounted it w/out any special tool.
It was sometime ago so i dont remember how, but im sure it wasnt a problem at all.

Back