Felt Flying Machine -Special-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So! I took another ride on the train. 3 hours each way this time, to pick up this beauty.
It's a Felt Flying Machine. But some sort of special edition. What makes it stand out from the normal one is the 7 speed gears, front drum brake and dynamo-driven headlight. The reear wheel is offset, which makes the fender look weird. No clue why felt did this.
Overall it's in great condition, only some surface rust, and the light isn't working. I'm sure I can fix this.
Anyway here are some pics.
20170113_182924.jpg

The grip shift is amazing. It's the whole handle, like the gas on a motorbike.
20170113_183507.jpg

As you can see the fender looks kinda messed up with an offset wheel.. WHY FELT??
20170113_183532.jpg

It doesnt actually fly tho.
20170113_183536.jpg

If anyone has some info on this "Special" version, give me a shout. I think -Special- might just be another word for european, but who knows.

I was planning on rat-rodding this bike, because I thought it was in way worse condition. Now my plans are: Creme 3" back tire, creme 2.35" front tire, some more "motorcycle-y" handlebars I have lying around, white felt pedals, and a vintage 2-tone seat. And a good wash. Stay tuned!

Freaking Cool!!

Sent From My Garage
I know, right?! There is another one for sale close to me, but the guy just does not show up to our meetings.. Three times he's stood me up! That's why I rode 6 hours today to pick this one up. I still think it would look sick as a rat, but it's in too good condition. It wouldn't be right:p Maybe if that guy would agree to meet me a fourth time..

I know, right?! There is another one for sale close to me, but the guy just does not show up to our meetings.. Three times he's stood me up! That's why I rode 6 hours today to pick this one up. I still think it would look sick as a rat, but it's in too good condition. It wouldn't be right:p Maybe if that guy would agree to meet me a fourth time..
Be careful, I'd say 3 strikes you're out. Might be a psycho killer.

Allright, so I'm pretty much done with it. Got alot of new parts today and I've been doing the work. I can't seem to upload pictures right now, but I'll post them as soon as I can.

I have some gripes with this bike tho.
For example it uses 1/2" pedals, so the FELT pedals I ordered for the FELT BICYCLE I have, don't fit. I'll buy an adapter for 25$ but really, ahrg.

The stem was rusted in place, sorted that.

Had to take off the rear fender to fit the 3" tire. Not sure how I feel about this, so I might order a 2.35" that will fit. The tire also rubs ever so slightly on the chain and the bottom of the frame. I'll deflate/inflate a few times so it's not bumpy anymore and that should probably work. Probably.

Shimming in the handlebars was a pain, but I got it done, sweat dripping.
But whoever installed the shifter on this bike had a sick sense of humor. The cable isnt even long enough to fit the stock bar when the stem is extended, much less my MC bars. No matter, I'll fit a suicide shifter on it anyway. I hadn't decided yet, but I guess the bike decided for me.
I'll also order some new mahogany grips, I think that will look sick.
Overall, very very happy with how this turned out! Pics will follow shortly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back