Felt MProvements, New Saddle Bags!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Felt MProvements, Wheels On!

are those "car" lug nuts on your axle? cool idea, how did you do it? i think this is the best felt i ever saw.

Hey TS, I picked up my son's tonight. I bought the rear bag set and a small little... something bag for the front. I installed the bags, the scabbard, and the valve covers. It looks awesome!! It's hiding a Grandma's house, so I'll get some pics tomorrow.

It's true that the tires look like they have slightly lower profile sidewalls with the wider rims but, to a degree, it is an illusion. I shot most of the above pictures at angles that highlighted the width of the rims. When viewed from above you see mostly rim because there is so little sidewall bulge now. Here is a picture that shows how, from the side, the bike looks more or less the same as stock (except that the rims are green now like on the earlier MP's.)

IMG_0870.JPG

None the less you have gotten me thinking about trying out the Electra diamonds. I found a source for a pair of them at a pretty cheap price so it might be worth a shot. The tread pattern on the diamonds is much closer to a vintage military motorbike tread anyways and I bet they would look sick on the 2.5" rims.

Thanks for the offer on the saddle bags. I have some bags that I bought at the LSS already so I am going to try to make those work.

I did manage to fabricate a sweet little clamp to secure the brake arm to the fork. I'll get some pictures up soon. I still have to instal the brake cable, lever and the new grips so watch for that too.

Merry Christmas,

Wow, I love it!
I would stick to those tires, maybe try to erase the words out, paint the back side of the mirror green and call her done mate!!! She looks standard issue!! :wink:

While I am enjoying the last couple days of my holiday vacay I have had the MP out on several rides including one the other day with my dad. I actually let him ride the MP and I took out my Schwinn.

A few days ago during an evening ride my service headlamp crapped out. I limped home with the blackout light alone. When I got back I determined that the headlamp bulb had burned out. This got me thinking about tools and spare parts that I want to carry on board while riding. I decided it would be cool to have a means of transporting my spare parts aboard the bike that "fits" the theme of the bike. I want it to look like the parts and tools I am carrying came straight from the WWII motor pool. So while watching TV the other night I put together the first of my on board supply of service parts. :mrgreen:

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.JPG

The lamps are from Radio Shack. They are a perfect replacement for 2 cell cruiser headlamps. The tin that I am using as a storage case is from some mints or gum or something. I sanded it and painted it OD green. I created the label and the lamp holder on Pages on my Mac.

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

A little cutting and folding and now I have a cool way to transport some spare lamps.

I'll post an update on the front brake install soon. Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Too cool and way creative 8) ....the 'MProvements' continue to impress!

two spot said:
:shock: Awesome!

That looks like the real thing, when I first looked at it I thought you somehow lucked into a real bulb box... :D That is the kind of details that makes a bike really stand out!

Luke.

You´re getting O.D. fever man!!! Watch out or you´ll end up with a Willy´s MB and a half-track in your garage! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You´re getting O.D. fever man!!! Watch out or you´ll end up with a Willy´s MB and a half-track in your garage! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It could happen. Here I am in Silverton CO checking out a halftrack that I found parked on the street:
561552_10151023797647694_1732360019_n.jpg

I think my wife would kill me though. :shock:

Oh and thanks for the comments everybody. I'll do more stuff like the bulb box as time and motivation permits. It was one of those "inspiration has struck" moments. :D

Regards,

You´ve got to love those!!!

...maybe the wife would be a little more tolerant with one of this stuck to your MP:
jeep_aug.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Felt MProvements

Love the bike, love the thread title, but another option could be "How to make a good bike even better."

3 wheeled wolfy said:
So the nirves definitely a rip-off mp.

When this was said it was like I was punched between the eyes. I am familiar with both bikes, but never had I thought about both bikes at the same time, so my mind never differentiated the 2 leaving me thinking there was but 1 off the shelf military bike. So I grabbed a couple photos for comparison.

mpkilroy_zpsa217eb36.jpg

Tried to overlap the wheels to get the scale correct on both bike... amazing. How long has Felt made the MP and how long has Nirve made the Kilroy? MP looks longer, more "cockpit" room. I know the Felt is a great bike, but for someone with a smaller budget the Kilroy is a decent looking bike, though the Felt is definitely better looking.

The MP shows up in the 2006 Felt cruiser catalog on their web site. The 2005 catalog has a Navy bike which is the same except it is all white. Don't know when the Kilroy came out. There are other army green knockoffs out there as well.

When did Felt first come out with their cruisers? The 2005 catalog says that all their tank bikes are aluminum but later one they have steel versions as well. It seems to depend on what kind of fork the particular bike was going to use and probably price.

Yeah the Navy and the Rat Patrol (Desert Tan) version of the MP were cool variants. I know the MP did originally have the aluminum frame. It also originally came equipped with a generator front hub. This is the version that yoothgeye shows in his picture. Does anyone know when the MP switched to steel or lost the generator? I would have loved to get an aluminum frame MP but it is hard enough to find a steel one on the used market. I'm just glad I got one before they started using the "Deep Six" frame.

I'm hoping that 3 Wheeled Wolfy didn't really mean any malice by saying the Nirve is a rip off. There is so much potential with the military theme I don't think any one bike manufacturer should have exclusive rights to it. It is cool to see that comparison pic. I actually like some of the paint and graphics on the Nirve. I think the "no step" marking on the chain guard is a neat idea. Electra has a kool military themed bike right now in their 2013 lineup called the "Tiger Shark".

That said, the Felt is still my favorite. The straight lines of their tank frame works really well with the theme. That is why I have wanted one for so long. It has been a fun process to modify it to be my dream bike. People seem to respond to it. I have gotten stopped on rides by people wanting to ask questions about it. I think when Felt came up with the the MP they hit on something really special, a design that resonates with a lot of folks. I was a bit bummed to see it change for 2013.

Regards,

For inspirational purpose, one of my favorites, the G503/jeepbike:

g503_chopper_full_2b.jpg

g503_chopper_frontc.jpg

Latest posts

Back