fightin fires, possibly kickin tires as well (new pics 7-7)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its been a year since I joined, jeez really time flies, so im no longer technically "probational".
so far Ive had 1 big structure fire, 1 smaller fire, a few piles of garbage and a dumpster burning, lots of alarms and a few burnt toast calls fromt he old folks home in town. Its great, the guys in my house are awesome people, i've known them for 20 + years because its also the same house that my dad volunteers at, I got to ide on the same engine he did before they retired her and got the new one this year. All that aside its just feels great to know that in some way even in my little town that I can make some what of a difference.
oh and I got to bust down 4 doors so far! yea!

Jen the parade is on the 13th this year so find b and ill huck some candy at you guys from the engine

I just read this post all the way through. I have to say all of you who volunteer or have over the years and serve the community are the most amazing people ever. My dads cousin is a volunteer firefighter and I know others who have over the years. I admire all of them. Good for you, all of you and much respect.

Wow that's a great thing you're doing, Even though the pay probably isn't what it should be firefighters are on the top of my most respected list. That '55 Mack is awesome too!

The efforts on 9-11 by the NYFD/NYPD has forever raised my level of respect for firefighters and police. In my eyes, I can never thank the brave men and women that put there lives on the line to protect our lives, property and safety.

This past weekend, I helped a neighbor put out a fire in his garage. Just the 15-20 second intervals when I took the hose and ran in to douse the flames (I know, stupid move, wait for real firemen to arrive), gave me an INSTANT renewal in my respect.

To all the firefighters/policemen on this forum and your 'band of brothers', thanks for your selfless service.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Yeah that's why when I see them out collecting money in the boot thing I always donate when I can. Firemen have my utmost respect. Twice as useful as a cop and get paid half as much. (Well the cops around here anyway)

I still remember when I was about 5 years old I had what I thought was a fire, well the fire department came and it had turned out that I had put a piece of pizza in the microwave and hit the "0" a few too many times about an hour later the kitchen was engulfed with smoke. They just laughed it off and brought it out on my front lawn and asked the other guys "Y'all want some pizza" :oops: Sometimes it pays to have a sense of humor. Ever since I've looked up to them.

thats a funny story, unattended cooking happens alot. I was just at a call where someone had burned some garlic bread. we get up into the apartment and look around and i go "well at least it smells good this time" which made the homeowner laugh. a big part of the job is tryin to make the public feel at ease and to take that stress and anxiety away.

I just made the Driver List for my engine last week. Me and a bud went to pump ops class
which is considered a difficult class because of the hydraulic equations you have to do.
( its easy simple algebra, see kids, you do need it when you grow up!)
Both of us passed with the highest grades in the rotation too.
We did a slalom course with the apparatus and then demonstrated usage of the pump and then we got certified to respond to the scene.
Overall its pretty cool, its not everyday you get to drive a 37 foot long 9 foot wide truck with bright lights and a siren.
Shes a KME chassis with a big bad Detroit Diesel Turbo.

Concrats on making driver list. I have been a firefighter for 30 yrs now. I'm 50yrs oid now and can leave anytime I want. I work at a station that has a 10 stall drive through. On one side all the trucks are airport crash vehicles and pointing out the other side all structural. Working for the Airforce you have to be certed out for everything Hazmat, ARFF, FF 2, Driver oprator,and Wildland. Just did the pack test today, good for another year. I think I will work a few more years than walk away from it and do something else. I have always had respect for Vols. Some of the best FF's are Vols. I could do that after I retire but I think my heart won't be in it anymore. So I will say thank you for doing what you do.

Al

Nice. We have a 100ft but I don't get to drive it that much it at another station. If you like I could take some pic's and post. It really is a state of the art fire station. I am spoiled each firefighter has his own bedroom with internet. satalite TV. I could go on and on but that could change some minds about how people feel about us on here.LOL

Latest posts

Back