Finally a long bike! Updated pics...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20160703_222041.jpg

Hmmmm....

I know it's been done before but I think this crutch might form my rack. I think I'll still have to weld in a top bar for the rear part of the frame for sturdieness...

I think I'll still have to weld in a top bar for the rear part of the frame for sturdieness...
Yep, definitely, careful riding it until you get that done too, at the moment there is a lot of stress at the rear bottom bracket, which is really a hollow shell, not very structural... ;)

Luke.

Yep, definitely, careful riding it until you get that done too, at the moment there is a lot of stress at the rear bottom bracket, which is really a hollow shell, not very structural... ;)

Luke.
The "test riding" the other night might have been alcohol induced...it's grounded until I get the cross bar welded in. :crazy:

Don't drink and ride, ACVHOG, you spill too much that way. ;)
good to see you're finally building your Long Bike
Coming together nicely....I like it.
:thumbsup:
They sure are fun to ride, aren't they?

Franco
No more drinking and riding or welding for me!:blackeye: 3am test rides are usually fun tho, especially on a homemade monster!

I've got a donor top tube to weld in tomorrow and found a pair of laminated wood crutches that is going to form the rack. I think it's gonna look good (the rack, not my welds!).

Since I didn't buy tubing, this bike is still only a $4 build. I'm sure it's gonna cost more but I want to keep it under $20.

I got the lawn mowed tonight after work so...Progress pics tomorrow!

No more drinking and riding or welding for me!:blackeye: 3am test rides are usually fun tho, especially on a homemade monster!

I've got a donor top tube to weld in tomorrow and found a pair of laminated wood crutches that is going to form the rack. I think it's gonna look good (the rack, not my welds!).

Since I didn't buy tubing, this bike is still only a $4 build. I'm sure it's gonna cost more but I want to keep it under $20.

I got the lawn mowed tonight after work so...Progress pics tomorrow!

It's funny, I first built a rack using a laminated Maple crutch as the outside form for the long bike I'm working on..we both had the same Idea there...:thumbsup:
It looked good, but since the back of the bike I'm working on is so 'flat', it just didn't fit in with the theme.....
I'll check back in...
:happy:
F.

Ok! I got a bike ride in this morning (cannondale not monster!), took a dunk in the pool and dug in...

I wanted to try to pry the slight twist I have in the frame. I chucked up the front BB and put a cheater bar on the rear seat post but it wouldn't budge! I'm gonna have to live with it. The welds held tho!!

I cut, ground, fitted, and finally welded a top bar to the rear frame...
20160707_144623.jpg

Don't mind the background. I have some hoarder tendencies!
20160707_144633.jpg

I fabbed up a couple of brackets and welded them on that top tube. They're gonna hold on my crutch rack...
20160707_151045.jpg

I think this all might work. Here's the rack kind of attached...
20160707_164021.jpg

I'm making braces to connect the rear of the rack to the drop outs.

More to come...

I'd say the wood worked out and looks better than the aluminum. It has that old farm truck appeal to it.

I'm a sucker for a bare frame, but with the farm truck look maybe age the wood and do a fauxtina?

I'd say the wood worked out and looks better than the aluminum. It has that old farm truck appeal to it.

I'm a sucker for a bare frame, but with the farm truck look maybe age the wood and do a fauxtina?

I've added patina before wiping bare metal with vinegar. Maybe I'll try it with this...

I started trying to strip the awesome purple from the front frame and forks. That stuff is tenacious!! It even resists the wire wheel!!

I rode my trusty old grocery getter to the hardware store...
20160708_153843.jpg

I got a spray can of "Klean strip premium stripper"
20160708_150755.jpg

They are NOT kidding about wearing gloves! Anywhere that stuff touches your skin it burns like acid!!

Here's how it went...
20160708_151828.jpg

20160708_151844.jpg

After only stripper and paint scraper...
20160708_153013_1.jpg

I really like Falstaff's farm truck idea and I think that will be my theme. Thanks Falstaff!

Latest posts

Back