FINALLY DONE! 1954 Goodyear Hi-Way Patrol

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with a $9.99 Ebay purchase in really rough shape...
0GoodyearHi-wayPatrol-1.jpg

Removed the - what was left of the wheels...
Wheels.jpg

This what I had to work with;
35.jpg

Massaged the fenders...
6.jpg

5.jpg

9.jpg

14.jpg

61.jpg

Prepped the frame...
41.jpg

43.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

71.jpg

73.jpg

56.jpg

22.jpg

Added my own touches..
Hand painted the Headbadge...
79.jpg

82.jpg

Current condition awaiting chrome work...
Untitled-1.jpg

More detail work to come...
Decided to refurbish the seat;
Seat1.jpg

Seat.jpg

Wire wheeled the snot out of it and...
Seatsprings.jpg

I got another seat pan donor for the original and I'm in the process of reupholstering it with close to original materials (burlap, cotton batting, and vinyl)
Still more to come... stop me if you need to! But I do enjoy the praise for all my effort!

7/5/12 Still waiting for the chrome work to be completed...

Finished the refurb on the seat - it could be better, but I didn't have a heat gun...
Seat7.jpg
Seat8.jpg
Seat9.jpg
Seat10.jpg
Seat11.jpg

Seat6.jpg

Chrome should be done tomorrow 7/19, then I can start assembly!
Well it turns out that I had to wait an extra week for my chrome parts to be done... They said they lost a washer out of the 18 small parts I dropped off, and would have to wait to drain the chrome tank at the end of this week to find it. I said I can do without the washer, I need my other stuff! So, I went and picked it up, and because I decided to mix in some extra parts, and parts from my '58 Schwinn, it took a while to sort through everything. I found that I had an extra unplated washer, and an extra chrome lock nut that wasn't mine. But whats worse, they seem to have lost my '58 Steering Head Nut, and replaced it with a piece of a faucet that was chromed. Huh? I guess it looked right to them, but WRONG thread size to fit the forks, and the top opening was way too small to fit a stem into. Go figure. So, I started assembly...
94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

98.jpg

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

Note my custom truss rod ends...

104.jpg

AND the chip in my top bar paint from my razor sharp adjustable wrench, which I covered with masking tape to avoid that very same thing...GEEZE!
105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

Seems my reparations worked out okay on the broken rack...
108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

Moved it inside since there is not enough room for all the vehicles in the garage...
113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

GYHPIS.jpg

So... I guess this one is DONE for the most part... Waddya think? Look okay? I'll take some shots outside in the daylight next.

BEFORE
0GoodyearHi-wayPatrol-1.jpg

AFTER
GYHP8.jpg

JCHigginsLock.jpg

GYHPOS.jpg

GYHP015.jpg

GYHP010.jpg

DWRS.jpg

Re: 1954 Goodyear

Holy Crap. That's unreal. What are you going to do for wheels? Original hubs with alloy rims?

Bigdaddy772 said:
Great paint work!! 8) 8) can't wait to see it finished!!
Thanks! It took a while waiting 7 days for each step to cure, and hand masking everything - but it still came out decent. Learned a lot from this first time.

...sigh....how I wish I had this kind of talent :x

Terrific job! And those are beautiful paint stands. 8)

What type of paint did you use? And those are some good looking bikes in the background...perhaps you could post some pics of those. :D

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Great looking resto so far! :wink:
Thanks, I started to rat it out and stepped back and said to myself "what the heck, I can do this! I've seen a $12,000.00 Columbia that looked worse!"

sleepy said:
...sigh....how I wish I had this kind of talent :x

Terrific job! And those are beautiful paint stands. 8)

What type of paint did you use? And those are some good looking bikes in the background...perhaps you could post some pics of those. :D

Thanks! Laugh at my stands if you want, they worked! I have used Duplicolor acrylic enamel from Pep Boys stock before with good results, so I tried it on this one, and although it gets tricky when the temp is above 75 it can be easily repaired if you wait for it to cure... ( it tends to dry fast in high temperatures) I'm still working on my '58 Schwinn Corvette - now a single speed - It's gonna look, but be different than stock for sure. I have a '78 Huffy, and a '7? bare frame Murray that I completed as cruisers for us and the kids. I need to take some decent shots of them outside so you can see the sparkle. (I love shiny spokes!)

lildietz said:
Holy Crap. That's unreal. What are you going to do for wheels? Original hubs with alloy rims?
Currently had to settle for some Sta-Tru American made Chinese 24's until I can locate something original. I get impatient sometimes and want to be done - so I can move on to the next.

Latest posts

Back