FINISHED!! First Build- Chopper/cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good.

Something to watch out for, that front end is going to have way too much rake. It will be very uncomfortable to ride. There are ways to cheat the forks to compensate for that, so ask your helper friend about that.

I preach to people about rake all the time, they don't listen, and they later admit that they should've listened.

We looked at that and I don't plan on keeping it at 4 feet... we are going to shorten it a lot so that it isn't so uncomfortable to ride. We are going to mock it up and cut it down so that the bottom of the frame stays parallel to the ground... I don't know exactly what the length will be at the end yet... but definitely not the full 4 feet like they have it! Good call though, I definitely want to be able to ride this!

Great build. I am looking forward to see this on the ground. In the first pictures you have all your stuff on Tan Carpet. My Old Lady would kill me if I did that in our place...

Great build. I am looking forward to see this on the ground. In the first pictures you have all your stuff on Tan Carpet. My Old Lady would kill me if I did that in our place...

you and me both! I am getting antsy... and naturally I am out of town this weekend so progress will be on hold for a little again!

haha luckily I had everything cleaned up and no grease or anything, so no stains! I think mine would be super angry if I did stain it!

looks very cool, first build, definitely not a first time builder cant wait to see this one finished

looks very cool, first build, definitely not a first time builder cant wait to see this one finished

luckily I am getting help from a guy who is not a first time builder! I have come up with the ideas and design and he is helping me through the process of everything. Unfortunately, my dad was not very hands on in building things himself so I didn't get to learn it all from him, so I am taking every opportunity to learn from this guy everything I can. He has a pretty awesome setup in his garage with everything we need! He even has a super cool old rat rod truck that he is building himself in there.. so he is the mastermind behind the building... I am the student for sure!

luckily I am getting help from a guy who is not a first time builder! I have come up with the ideas and design and he is helping me through the process of everything. Unfortunately, my dad was not very hands on in building things himself so I didn't get to learn it all from him, so I am taking every opportunity to learn from this guy everything I can. He has a pretty awesome setup in his garage with everything we need! He even has a super cool old rat rod truck that he is building himself in there.. so he is the mastermind behind the building... I am the student for sure!
that's a great opportunity and you seem to be taking full advantage of it. The bike is gonna look awesome.

Finally got to get a little more done and we are close to the end! Today was all about the springer front forks... Took a little figuring it out but we made some great progress. Welded washers on the ends of two springs to act as retainers on the top of the forks, then we needed the tubes to have a thread on them so we cut up some bolts and welded them in the tubes, then welded 2 springs together to make a longer spring for a little more suspension and because I think it looks better! :thumbsup: Using engine freeze plugs as the retainers for the larger springs on the bottom... And drilled a 1/2" hole in them to fit the tubes through so we could weld the tubes to the plate on the bottom. It's not quite finished but I think next time we will have everything fit together and the only part left to do will be to paint.... And I kind of like the ratty bare metal look so it may stay that way for a little!
8D608785-F771-460E-875D-B4477B0AFB4F_zpsjpjwxyrw.jpg

855DB5E5-6FA0-45A0-A0D2-D63136E9948A_zpsrodqti6t.jpg

A12CAF64-6BAF-4472-A557-43E7BF9D1AC5_zpshon5ulje.jpg

F401E38B-2FB7-491B-BB31-B400041A8D77_zpsuxhbwsko.jpg

146229DC-8387-4D2E-9819-51F56B10CCAE_zpswjstlpqh.jpg

5139E729-6F42-4827-8096-5495E3814766_zps3p92irhv.jpg

8FDB1189-0ABC-4CC5-891C-CE1D02E10916_zpstacfem5m.jpg

That should look good! I hope you don't have issues with heat degradation around the welds on the springs...

Luke.

thanks! you and me both! ha We messed around with the springs after welding them and they seem to be pretty strong still and didn't seem to have any issues so I'm feeling good! Granted, we will of course see if we have any issues once it is riding.

It's almost there! Got it mocked up and the fork tubes fit and cut to size. The quill stem I had does not fit into the frame we are using... I had a Huffy Cranbrook... Anyone know what size that is and where I could get a smaller one? The guy who is helping me said he thought one off a BMX or a 20" bike would probably fit. I have the quill stem off a small Concord I sold that I'm hoping will fit. If you guys can help that would be great! Now.... For the pictures!

363D23FA-71E8-4A05-97F0-1C5A4D9089E1_zps5jeb4zvv.jpg

E194752F-40D7-44BD-9499-E242B4E17E23_zpsuu7m4dul.jpg

60F9F424-9228-484A-ABBB-8EE7DF7B8977_zpswsatd8ri.jpg

B55C7F64-B92A-4313-A185-F616B219171F_zpsbcl4tfzg.jpg

9C2FB0C9-23F4-4925-BD8B-A29D8C56844E_zpsqhltxvxm.jpg

B18167CF-FCEA-419E-979E-B828B52155E6_zpsyv0slymm.jpg

38CCF7E8-41BB-498B-83C5-E3A985A0D6A6_zpsfi3jwoyo.jpg

6F901E28-728A-4EAA-8C70-B4B1DDDA3F68_zpsuukmfr7q.jpg

88736E02-78B8-4002-B232-C1F0CD4E6173_zps89gwhhj4.jpg

It's finished!!! Minus paint. It rides real smooth... The long front end took a little getting used to but I got the hang of it.

Paint is going to be Burnt Copper Alloy for the frame and the forks (besides the springs) will be black. I'm going to be using plastidip so I can end up changing the color easily if I decide to later on. I love the bike already and am super proud of my first build! Let me know what you guys think! I really do appreciate all the help I've received on ere from you guys!

1CB069CF-0128-4804-AA4B-14C2695611AB_zpsxwfq5im5.jpg

A20B65DE-AD22-42DE-9915-B1FDC80C568C_zpshmrfrweu.jpg

Great build.
That canti spike is wicked!!!!!

Looks really good! Especially for your first build. You did a great job. That frame definitely has some cool and unique lines to it. Do you have any other plans for it? After all everyone knows that a project is never truly finished.

Looks really good! Especially for your first build. You did a great job. That frame definitely has some cool and unique lines to it. Do you have any other plans for it? After all everyone knows that a project is never truly finished.

thanks! the only other plans for it are switching out the pedals and seat... those are from the Cranbrook I used for parts and they don't quite fit the look. I also have another set of handlebars that I want to use but they didn't fit in the quill stem because one of the angles was too harsh so I will either be trying to bend open the current stem more to fit them, or finding a separate stem that will fit them. There is a picture of those earlier in the thread I believe... I just need the smaller size quill stem (21.1mm I believe) to fit in the steerer tube. Other than that... no other plans yet except to ride it!

Well, after some new parts from Corykip... Here she sits now! Only problem is that the headlight points almost straight up! Ha. But it sure looks cool! I'm not sure about the grips, yet, they may be swapped again... I'll have to ride again tomorrow and see

image_zpsvkogn05x.jpg

Paint turned out sweet!!!
That spike is like a talon or claw. You should call it Copper Claw

Latest posts

Back