FIREPROOF

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Smack dab in the middle of the "land of fruits & n
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all my fellow RatRodBike enthusiasts!
I’m finally getting around to my intro . . . please forgive me for taking so long. I have spent many a coffee break over the past half-year checking out what you all talk about in this forum, and I must say that, for several reasons, I’m quite impressed! First of all, it seams that every time I’ve finished reading a couple threads, I leave feeling inspired with a new idea for a project. The artistry and creativity shown here is amazing. Secondly, for the most part all the posts are very positive and any joking around is good natured. Also, everyone seems very helpful and willing to share information and advice. Perhaps most important, though is that this forum is kept clean . . . I can let my kids read it too. Thanks, Thanks, and Thanks Rat Rod! :D
A while back, I pulled a Schwinn OCC bike out of the dumpster behind our shop. It was missing the grips, a pedal, and the rear tire & tube. After buying replacement parts for it, I had a great time with my daughter making it roadworthy for her. I taught her how to clean & pack bearings, mount the tire, adjust the chain and brakes, and clean the rust off the frame. She likes riding it, and after she saw the RatRodBikes gallery, she decided she wanted some apehangers for it.
Not to be outdone by his big sister, my son helped fix-up a forlorn Next BMX bike. He learned how to swap forks, grease wheel bearings, patch tubes, and r&r the wheels. He also has a Schwinn chopper, but he likes riding the dirt bike he learned to work on.
Anyway, I bought myself a new bike about a year ago and I have been having a blast riding it. The last time I had a new bike was when I was in sixth grade in the early seventies. (I guess now I don’t need to tell you that I’m an old man! Lol). The only other bike I had was a second-hand mountain bike I fixed-up and took to Bonneville Speed Week in 1993. After I got home, I stuck it in my sister’s barn . . . next time I saw it, everything was completely frozen and covered in rust. ( If you ever ride your bike on the salt flats, make sure you carefully clean it afterwards unless you like naturally-produced patina on your ball bearings! Lol). The bike I ride now is a Schwinn Spoiler. It’s mostly stock . . . I fabricated some spring spacers for the forks to stop them from rattling; I shortened the “sissy bar” so I could move the seat back as much as I could; and I installed a speedometer/clock/odometer. So far I’ve ridden it almost 600 miles and with only three flat tires! Pretty amazing considering that the bike lanes in my part of town are “paved” with broken glass and sheet-metal screws! I bought a new rear wheel with a three-speed Sturmey-Archer hub to convert my bike, but now I’m thinking I might leave the Spoiler alone and build a bike around that wheel. I need a bike project, right?
Okay, I’ve gone on long enough. I’m glad to be part of this forum . . . I think I’m in the right place! I look forward to meeting a bunch of you folks in person someday. Thanks and God bless you all!

Fireproof (Mark)
Matt 13:37-43

Welcome! :)
When I found this forum I too was impressed by the positive atmosphere! I've never seen anything like it, this place is one of a kind! Friendly and helpful people with a respectful attitude towards eachother. I hope you'll feel right at home! :)
Yepp, you need a bike project and to me it sounds like you've already got one... :D
See you around!

WELCOME!...Looking forward to seeing what ya got.

Oi :!: Top of the Mornin' to Ya welcome to rat rod bikes :D

Welcome to the site and lets see some pictures of those bikes. Heres my spoilier
010-17.jpg

Ok guys Sunday April 5th Woodland Auto part based swap meet but.......there is usually alot of old bike antique type cool stuff I will be selling man junk and bikes , at the college off Gibson rd........so far I have a 53 Kenworth radiator shell , old chopper springer front end with wheel set (for motorcycle)motor manuals from the sixties 62 chevy hubcaps....ect maybe I will see ya there.

welcome fireproof. i live in yreka now, but for like 2 years (about 5 years ago) i lived in citrus heights area, off sunrise. you came to the right place and i can't wait to see some pictures of your rides. started my own small (very small) cruiser customization business ( callin it nor-cal custom cruisers... NC3 ). very local and just starting.

Welcome to you, was nice to meet you and talk to you at the ride Sat evening, want to wish you you best of luck and have fun in all that you do, Olschbp, Frank

olschbp said:
Welcome to you, was nice to meet you and talk to you at the ride Sat evening, want to wish you you best of luck and have fun in all that you do, Olschbp, Frank

Thank you Frank! I enjoyed meeting you and the other folks. What a great time! :D I hope to see you on the next ride.
Mark

welcome welcome glad you made it out to the ride hope to see you next month

lilschwinnkid said:
What's up?

Hi there TdK! Are you down for a ride this 2nd Saturday night in beautiful downtown Sacramento? Maybe you can git yer ol' man to roll with us!!! (just tell him that Capitol Dog has a hot link covered in cheese waiting for him!) :lol:

Latest posts

Back