Firestone Rail (FireRail)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been doing double duty building my Wheel'n in the years MBBO bike and also building this bike along side of it. I wanted to also put it in the MBBO but I had already painted the frame so that excluded it from the competition. So I figured on building them both once I started the MBBO and then got to the point of painting the Wheel'n frame. So here it is, finally the start of my 1969 Firestone Rail built exactly like the one I had when I was a kid. As I build it along with my MBBO bike I will post it's progress also, next the wheels and tires.

Right after I painted it about 4 months ago

Started assembling after I cleaned all the individual parts and polished the chrome

Front view after I inserted the newly made aluminum Rail tube caps.

3 of my 4 new projects before I started assembling them this weekend, when I'm done with the FireRail and Wheel'n bike I'm going to hit the antifreeze green Super Stock and yellow dragster for my Grand son.

Last edited:
Those all look great. Look forward to seeing the Firestone Rail. Super Stock doesn't look a whole lot longer than the rail.

Those all look great. Look forward to seeing the Firestone Rail. Super Stock doesn't look a whole lot longer than the rail.
It's not. In fact, the distance between the seat tube and the head tube is pretty much the same. The difference is the height. That's why I toyed with the idea of lengthening the frame of my Super Slingshot, but it would just be too much for me.

That (seat-head tube) dimension looks way shorter on the Super Stock to me. Bottom bracket is farther forward on the SS with similar overall length. Interesting seeing those frames side by side. They're all nice! Look forward to seeing that Super Stock too.

I like that Slingshot stagger with the Super Stock frame like on that 10 speed deal that was posted in one of your Slingshot threads CRASH.

Old Scool I heave been led to this tread because I'm currently rebuilding a 24 inch rail and need some of those frame caps. Could you share with me where did you get them.

Old Scool I heave been led to this tread because I'm currently rebuilding a 24 inch rail and need some of those frame caps. Could you share with me where did you get them.

No problem, me and a buddy of mine make them out of aircraft aluminum and put a high polish on them. The aluminum is obviously more durable than the original plastic ones from the factory that peel. I sell them on Ebay for $24 but to the guys on Rat Rods for $20 a set. Let me know if you want a set and I can get them right out to you, I take Pay Pal. Pic below of them.

Got my tires/wheels polished and mounted, rebuilt the rear 5-speed hub (was intimidating but turned out to be pretty easy so rebuilt the front and a rear coaster/brake hub for my MBBO bike also), rebuilt the Lark derailleur but it took three to build one good one, know if I did it right when I get the chain on. Get some more pics up later tonight.

Latest posts

Back