First build in 15 years, Done-ish with pics added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,
I was going to wait until I was a little farther along before I posted this build but sadly that may be some time to come. I have figured out that waiting until you get laid off is not a good time to return to vintage and custom bicycles. So I figured that I would post what I have so far.
I got a frame from a nice guy over on the CABE. It is badged FOX but I was told it was built by Shelby.
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

I decided that I was going to go for a vintage Harley look maybe from the early teens. So I made a paper pattern for a tank.
3.jpg

Then made a mock up out of poster board to make sure it would fit.
4.jpg

Then I transferred the pattern to 22 gauge sheet metal and cut it out.
5.jpg

Then bent and tacked everything together.
9.jpg

Another test fit
10.jpg

Then I made some brass hanger brackets (2 top and 2 bottom)
7.jpg

A little clean up, a little bondo, some primer and she fits like it was made for it.
11.jpg

I also found this way cool light for the bike.
light.jpg

That is about it for now I guess. I have been searching for a set of balloon tire forks as well as balloon tire fenders but have not found much in my budget so far. So it is hard to move forward. I need to make a rear carrier rack but need the rear fender to do that. I think that I want to try and make a sidecar for it as well but can not even think of starting that until I get a little further along. Anyway thanks for looking and I hope to be adding more soon.

JimK

That tank looks great! Have fun

JimK said:
Hello all,
I was going to wait until I was a little farther along before I posted this build but sadly that may be some time to come. I have figured out that waiting until you get laid off is not a good time to return to vintage and custom bicycles. So I figured that I would post what I have so far.
I got a frame from a nice guy over on the CABE. It is badged FOX but I was told it was built by Shelby.
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

I decided that I was going to go for a vintage Harley look maybe from the early teens. So I made a paper pattern for a tank.
3.jpg

Then made a mock up out of poster board to make sure it would fit.
4.jpg

That tank rocks! You, sir, have skills.

Sorry to hear about your getting laid off-- hope things get better for you soon.
I'll certainly be looking for updates on this! Love what you're doing with it, and getting ideas for maybe tanking one of my bikes-- Thanks 8)

Hello all,
I have made a little progress on this build. Progress is slow, but progress is progress.

First I got a few new parts
Three wheels (2 front one rear). The second front is for the sidecar.

newparts2.jpg

All of the hardware to build up the wheels

newparts.jpg

And the elusive Balloon Tire forks

forks.jpg

Then I started to figure what I wanted the truss rods to look like.

forkmoc1.jpg

Once the truss rods looked right I started building

forkbuild1.jpg

I made the truss rods out of a hanging plant stand that I found in the yard. My wife will never miss it. :D

forkbuild2.jpg

forkbuild3.jpg

forksdone1.jpg

Once the forks where done(ish) I decided to see what the head light would look like. Once I got it on there with the original bracket I did not like it. It seemed to me to be sitting way to high.

Original bracket

002.jpg

001.jpg

So I made a bracket that made it sit much better. At least I think so

lightbracket2.jpg

lightbracket1.jpg

That is about it so far. Next I am going to rebuild the rear hub and lace it up. Then I can start thinking about the side car as I search for fenders.
Thanks for looking

JimK

GREAT BUILD!!YOU HAVE MAD SKILLS!! HANG TUFF MAN CUZ YA NEVER KNOW WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN. STAY POSITIVE,COUNT YA BLESSINGS AND VISUALIZE WHAT AND WHERE YOU WANT TO BE... NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! :mrgreen: PEACE

Oh man I'm liken this that tank and fork are awesome!

Hello All,
I am sure that most everyone has forgot all about this build. It has been a long time in the works. What with health issue and life's distractions I wasn't sure it would ever get done. In fact I would call it more Done-ish. I still want to make a rear carrier and add a klaxon style horn someday. The internet geeks here at work have made it so I can not upload pictures. But since I hate build threads that just fade away without seeing completion (or close to it) I am posting this link to the thread at the CABE. Anyone who is curios is welcome to check it out. I may try to add some photos at home tonight. Anyway thanks for looking. Any and all comments are welcome.

jimK

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/my-project.20201/

Last edited:
Fantastic !!

That looks super slick. Awesome to see this build finished, I think you traded me something for that chainring/crank set years ago, it's always fun to see where and on what parts will end up.

Latest posts

Back