FIRST MONOSHOCK BMX BIKE VIDEO - GARY TURNER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Filmmaker Todd Huffman of Pipeline Digital Media just published a new mini documentary film on Gary Turner's Monoshock build from the 70s.

Todd reached out and asked for permission to use some footage of a Yamaha Moto-Bike I had at one point and it made its way into the video...my work stand is famous! :bigsmile:

Great historical BMX footage!

Thanks for posting! Really enjoy and learning more about early bmx shock bikes. Nice to see them still in use. Like that it was restored with all original parts. Felt invincible on my lesser made stripped down Rampar R5.

Awesome documentary! It's funny, just a few minutes ago I made a comment on the BMX Build Off inspiration pics thread about that drilled monoshock and how I thought it looked homemade and not too pretty, but super functional, and I guess I hit the nail on the head! I had no idea how far back those early BMX bikes went, so it's cool to see the history on them! Thanks for sharing!

Look for the Yamaha Gold Cup 1974 on youtube. It was a giant series of bmx races with huge purses and massive promotion. All essentially to advertise the '74 Yamaha Monoshock bmx bike.

I believe the big winner was still on a modified Sting Ray, however.

Such a killer video. Makes me miss Cali, which is NOT an easy task. Missing my youth on the other hand is a daily occurrence...I actually had an original GT bike. Chrome Frame and fork. I loved that bike. I cracked the frame going for a record (according to the sponsors at the time) bunny hop of just over 4 feet. That led to the purchase of my PK Ripper...which also subsequently cracked while jumping it. What I wouldn't give to have either or both of those bikes now...

Latest posts

Back