Fixed pain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the cranks and pedals and spliced together a chain to give it a go.
It rode ok, but had a few toe strikes.
I’m tempted to try another fork, or just get a different frame for this wheelset.

@Swampthing I love how your frame and bars turned out! Can you share some of your 'ratina' process?

Would a fork with a little more 'rake' guve you the toe room you need?

It might
I have ordered straps so I’ll see how it goes with a consistent foot position.
I do have another fork I can try too.
If not I have two other frames that I could build up, but I don’t think either will fit this wheelset, and the whole point of the build to build a BMX cruiser fixed gear and try to learn some tricks.

A few adjustments and it’s growing on me.
Got my fist fixie skid with it too!
The patina is a process.
After stripping, a quick acid wash with vinegar Or hydrochloric.
Add some Florida heat and humidity and watch it form.
When I like the look, I treat it (mixed with water in a spray bottle) with phosphoric acid, and rinse with the hose after an hour or so.
That kills most of the patina, But it will come back.
Once it’s regrown to where I like it. I do the phosphoric acid again, in the evening when it’s really humid so it dries slowly. A bit stronger this time, but no rinse. In the morning wipe everything down with BLO mixed with turps, or paint thinner. It doesn’t seem to matter. Wait a couple hours. Wipe it off. Put some more on.
Every few months (possibly weeks in the rainy season) wipe it down with a rag and BLO. I’ve never had a BLO rag spontaneously combust like a drummer, but have felt the heat of the oxidation process, so I get them wet and dispose of them.
The other bike shows what it matures into.

E13E7AA1-2A44-4D51-95D6-30A2B9A63640.jpeg
DC5B5D5D-6CAC-4B1A-8C00-5E032769398E.jpeg
CD34D5D2-A5BE-4910-A224-897D6593CCD2.jpeg

Toe overlap is common on big BMX... especially if you have unorthodox foot placement like myself :confused:. You'll make unconscious adjustments with seat time til it becomes a non-issue.
Thanks
It doesn’t seem as much of an issue now. The first time riding it I jammed my foot in good a couple of times. I probably have adjusted, and it hasn’t happened in a while. Also, A new seat post was ordered as well to put the seat back a touch.

I’ve never had a BLO rag spontaneously combust like a drummer, but have felt the heat of the oxidation process, so I get them wet and dispose of them.

No one wants Mick Shrimpton happening in their shop!!!!

NeatDarkBeaver-max-1mb.gif

A little bit of cleaning and some time with a felt pad and some polishing compound and this is almost ready for reassembly.
the pitting on the spindle and faces is not bad, 90% or more will polish out
The bearings look like a cratered moonscape so I’ll pack new ones in once the faces shine.
I
F1C1A365-CEE9-4DC4-A178-524915EF2056.jpeg

Hmm
Seems like this guy stalled out for a bit while I worked on my Swamp Lotus.
This one is put together and the patina is forming, but does seem a bit superficial to start tying to lock it up.
That saddle was terribly uncomfortable, so there is a different one on it now.
I’ll take it for a spin and and some photos this weekend.
I took it out for a ride with my son the other day.
He asked me if I remembered the creepy kid in Toy Story with the messed up horror movie type toys. I said yes.
He said I was like that kid, but old, and with bikes.
That was a compliment, right?

A few adjustments and it’s growing on me.
Got my fist fixie skid with it too!
The patina is a process.
After stripping, a quick acid wash with vinegar Or hydrochloric.
Add some Florida heat and humidity and watch it form.
When I like the look, I treat it (mixed with water in a spray bottle) with phosphoric acid, and rinse with the hose after an hour or so.
That kills most of the patina, But it will come back.
Once it’s regrown to where I like it. I do the phosphoric acid again, in the evening when it’s really humid so it dries slowly. A bit stronger this time, but no rinse. In the morning wipe everything down with BLO mixed with turps, or paint thinner. It doesn’t seem to matter. Wait a couple hours. Wipe it off. Put some more on.
Every few months (possibly weeks in the rainy season) wipe it down with a rag and BLO. I’ve never had a BLO rag spontaneously combust like a drummer, but have felt the heat of the oxidation process, so I get them wet and dispose of them.
The other bike shows what it matures into.

View attachment 163547View attachment 163548View attachment 163549
Digging the contrast of red & rust!

Latest posts

Back