Flying Wedge

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hamppea, @Chad T is the king of 'naner seat recovering. Chad, can you share ideas on materials / options / tricks for his saddle?

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you thinking aboute suicide shifter under your seat ? In the crank hole?
Grand idea.

This build requiring hands on the bars for shifting. Nothing can be on the top rails either because my knees are all over them. Any sort of attached levers at the frame junctions would get in the way of pedaling. I could probably swing something above the crank.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just catching up with this build now... man, this thing is WILD. Very cool.

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Widening the dropout spacing for 130 OLD hubs.

The frame drive side chainstay came with a 6mm offset which can remain.
MWstays.jpg

Bent seatstay by the visible gap at the bridge. Should be straight.
MWseatstay1.jpg

Only one chainstay has to be adjusted because the other is already set. Wood lever tool with riser clamps for the job.
Bending tool.jpg

130mm OLD axle used for measuring dropout separation during the spreading process.
130mm OLD.jpg

Frame clamped to immovable object.
dumpster2.jpg

The lower junction of the frame is the strongest place to hold it rigidly. The chainstays are brazed to the seat tube on the inside of the shell for added strength.
dumpstermount.jpg

Straightened the seatstay. Bent much easier than the chainstay.
torprailfixed.jpg

Near perfect, didn't get greedy pushing the bender to avoid overshoot.
troprailstright.jpg

Job done, looks good.
Wedgeframe.jpg

In.
xrd4in.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Red seat is .......', and the post is a nice touch. Is reach longer than a usual muscle bike? Can't tell if it's the frame design making it look so long.
It's a long frame with about a 21'' top tube. Good for 6 foot riders.

A group in car pulled up while taking pictures asking if it was for sale. They also commented on the red seat.

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got rid of the annoying creaking stem for good! Filled the space between the stem and steerer with a shim.
feeler_gauge_strip.jpg
IMG_20210621.jpg

Tire testing phase. Not keen on the Tioga's performance. See how a Subrosa rear and Primo front go.
Reducing the rear to 65 psi is just as fast as 80+. 55- psi was slower.

Durability, precision, speed and comfort is paramount. The ride is completely silent. I can only hear the kickstand over bumps.
Gonna look different all painted without all the red bits. Still looks pretty cool for non traditional bike. Most important, it's fast!
Wedge with Tioga tire.jpg

Last edited:

Karate Chicken Industries

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quiet bikes are extra fun, enabling riders to sneak on by... I used to ride through a notorious SoCal gang's neighborhood at night. They didn't always see me ride by, but I know they never heard me. If they saw me, I was already gone as far as they were concerned. They yelled at me once in a while, but I never heard what they had to say with 25mph+ wind in my ears.

Last edited:

Captain Awesome

👑 Lord of Irrelevance 👑
Staff member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got rid of the annoying creaking stem for good! Filled the space between the stem and steerer with a shim.
View attachment 162122View attachment 162123

Tire testing phase. Not keen on the Tioga's performance. See how a Subrosa rear and Primo front go.
Reducing the rear to 65 psi is just as fast as 80+. 55- psi was slower.

Durability, precision, speed and comfort is paramount. The ride is completely silent. I can only hear the kickstand over bumps.
Gonna look different all painted without all the red bits. Still looks pretty cool for non traditional bike. Most important, it's fast!
View attachment 162124
I was pretty keen on those Tioga. What didn't you like about it?

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Early fin design. Splitting a thin tube to mount the fins to, which is attached to the down tube.
IMG200204.jpg

1'' x 1/8'' extruded aluminum to be cut diagonally to form the fins.
IMG201703.jpg

The shifter knob can detach from the body while riding in gear which is not good being mounted on the end of bar extension. Required an elaborate part to retain the knob to work a specific way.

Ground a startnut down to press into the bar extension.
IMG201058.jpg

IMG200936.jpg

Parts order:
3'' M6 bolt (threads into the starnut).
Nylon washer (prevents the shifter assembly from pulling apart).
Inside collar (spins freely on the bolt)
Nylon insert nut to retain the collar from sliding out of place.
Locking nuts to set shifter depth along the bar extension.
Alloy grip shifter extension that presses into the plastic shifter knob (fits around the inside collar).

The bolt is tightened into the starnut. The inside collar allows the alloy grip extension to twist precisely.
IMG200754.jpg

Twist shifting on the left feels normal. Gear numbers are upside down... for now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Replacing all the frame plugs. Dislike the originals.
Wedge frame plugs.jpg

Made a 3D model for printing. The lower junction is the same size tube used for the BB shell. The upper tube I.D. is 35mm. Not the same as the head tube.
Concentric ring design.
Clip3.jpg

Model side view. Press fit.
Clip1.jpg
Clip2.jpg

Passed 500 miles over the weekend. Rear 2.5'' redline. Mechanically little to improve on.

Wedge with redline tire.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts