FrankenHiggins is FrankenFinished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sold two 68 Beetles that I had bought really cheap. But they turned out to be too much work. So I just bought a 72 super beetle that is much closer to being a driver. No pics yet. Green with black Empi 8 spokes. I have to go get it on Monday.
Awesome!

Luke.

Finally some progress to report. The 24T sprocket arrived first, so it gets to stay. Got my rear fender in its final location.
004.JPG

Needed different length braces for the front fender, so I had to do a little cutting.
005.JPG

Swapped ends and welded back together.
006.JPG
007.JPG
009.JPG

I'll dress these up with a little JB weld, and will probably paint the inside black to hide the carnage.
Here is the look with both fenders mounted correctly:
010.JPG
Still have to paint the chainguard, frame and fork. No pressure.

Lovin' it! Did I mention that green is my favorite color? [emoji1360]
Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love the green with the bare metal and white. Looking good. Congrats on the new bug!
Thanks, did I mention that the bug is green also? Was supposed to get it home yesterday, tomorrow for sure.

72 hours left, time to paint! Took the wire wheel to my frame.
Beetle shot.
009.JPG
Forgot about the bad pedal strike on the left side. Tried to weld it up and blew a big hole in the frame. Spent way too much time fixing it.
010.JPG

Could be better, but out of time.
To the paint booth:
013.JPG

Semi-gloss black:
016.JPG

Shot some on the chain guard too:
014.JPG

015.JPG

017.JPG

And then the rains came.

I guess I am going down this 65T rabbit hole. I apologize to josh_from_ga who is featuring a 65T ring on his build. I should apologize to everyone, since I have never had an original idea to date. With that being said, here is how I was able to get more clearance for my chainring. First I yanked the crank out of an old Huffy mtb.
View attachment 26413
I hoped that the spacing was wider and it was. Old dogleg crank was shot anyway.

View attachment 26414
It was actually installed on the Huffy with some thick washers which I reused. Spacing looks pretty good. Drive side:
View attachment 26415
Non drive side:
View attachment 26416
Added benefit of the Huffy was that the small ring of the old gearset happened to be a 30T which I may be able to turn into a rear sprocket. Has a lot of offset built in though.
View attachment 26417

I didn't think the Higgins guard looked right with the big sprocket so I tried this one. No fenders:
View attachment 26419
With rear fender:View attachment 26420
With both fenders:
View attachment 26421
Man, I just went through your build. I love it! I'm just glad big chainrings made it to the voting booths. I had to give up because of work. 3 days off in 2 months didnt leave me much energy for personal projects. But by September I will get some time off, just in time for the Muscle Bike build off. I have a Cycle truck frame begging to be built up.

Man, I just went through your build. I love it! I'm just glad big chainrings made it to the voting booths. I had to give up because of work. 3 days off in 2 months didnt leave me much energy for personal projects. But by September I will get some time off, just in time for the Muscle Bike build off. I have a Cycle truck frame begging to be built up.
Thanks, Josh. I didn't have nearly enough time either. I still have several things that I would like to do to this one. I also have a bunch of bikes that I need to get cleaned up and sold. Good luck in the MBBO and with your cycle truck.

Latest posts

Back