Fred Klunkstone

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can follow up with a muscle bike build in the Fall
Fred_Flintstone_on_chopper_6.jpg

A muscle bike build you say kingfish254.. I have a sweet one that I purchased from a fellow bike club member but I do want to build one. Here is my 63 24inch stingray clone. It is a true 63 schwinn that Denis Kamstra did a awesome job building. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it so when he decided to sell it I had to have it..
a4a584e416040cf5fc43416f1407e3b7.jpg
ca8455efa72b6ec079f7d33f94b6e2d6.jpg

Well I put Fred all the way together to do a ride this past weekend and found a little problem. Went for a quick little shake down ride in the neighborhood and kept hearing and feeling a loud pop. Finally found where it was coming from. The braze on the seat tube where it meets the bottom bracket broke. Headed to a club members shop to have him weld it back together for me. Glad I found it before paint....
46aa5f163c7ce819b45b375289803dc3.jpg

Last edited:
Well I put Fred all the way together to do a ride this past weekend and found a little problem. Went for a quick little shake down ride in the neighborhood and kept hearing and feeling a loud pop. Finally found where it was coming from. The weld on the seat tube where it meets the bottom bracket broke. Headed to a club members shop to have him weld it back together for me. Glad I found it before paint....
That's interesting,looks like it wasn't even welded to begin with.I think I'd check the rest of the frame.

Okay Kevin and Falstaff, here's a good teaching moment for y'all for this country bumpkin' that doesn't know the difference between brazing and welding....?

Brazing is heating the metals and melting bronze or silver into the joint to join them together. Look up fillet brazing. I want to learn some day.
I'm guessing that either form of welding, tig or mig (heh, pretty cool huh, I knew those two words..haha!) is a stronger more industrial type bond than a braze? I'm thinking "braze-ons" like water bottle cage screw mounts etc are not designed to take the stress and leverage a frame might undergo? So, why did they use brazing instead of welding on these particular bike frames?

Brazing is heating the metals and melting bronze or silver into the joint to join them together. Look up fillet brazing. I want to learn some day.
Yea....
What he said.
My dad taught me when I was about 8 or so, but that's the last time I did it.

I'm guessing that either form of welding, tig or mig (heh, pretty cool huh, I knew those two words..haha!) is a stronger more industrial type bond than a braze? I'm thinking "braze-ons" like water bottle cage screw mounts etc are not designed to take the stress and leverage a frame might undergo? So, why did they use brazing instead of welding on these particular bike frames?
I don't think welding technology was very available back then,but brazing is pretty strong. Think of all the 1940's and earlier bicycles that were brazed and are still rollin'

Rat Rod it looks original. When I pull the crank out I will take a couple of pics.. I give the builder's back then nothing but props. A majority of the bikes built nowadays won't be around in 10 years much less 50 or 60.

Well I put Fred all the way together to do a ride this past weekend and found a little problem. Went for a quick little shake down ride in the neighborhood and kept hearing and feeling a loud pop. Finally found where it was coming from. The braze on the seat tube where it meets the bottom bracket broke. Headed to a club members shop to have him weld it back together for me. Glad I found it before paint....
You should've never brought up the name 'Flunker'! :21:

Just kidding, glad you found out in time to fix the problem before you finished the build. You might consider welding the other joints also for good measure.

Latest posts

Back