Freehub center hole/spline size questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the shimano freewheel on my bike has two stages of central spendle sizing. The segment that currently matches the chainline is the smaller of the segments. Currently looking at splined single speed gears (because longer teeth) and I'm wonderinf if they'll fit the smalelr segment or larger. Gut says alrger given single speed freewheels have to go over that thread on segment, and freehubs are a single length throughout.

Basically I'm at a crossroads between geared and single speed and exploring options on if single speed works out for me as it would represent far less to keep in order, but also currently repreents headachs when dealing with chain tensioning. I am not doing simialr plotting with the geared side of thigns as i have a plan in place if it turns out single speed just won't work out for the hills here.

i have seeen an RJ Bike Guy look at re-dishing and..... that is an involved process especially for someone with poor vision. However if thats what needs to happen that's what will need to happen. Mostly because i am not made of money and even though i would love to go to a rear coaster brake, i have heard they introduce drag.

One thing at a time though. Attached is a photo of the redneck setup i have in place. What might not be clear is I only stopped throwing chains left right and center when I put that chain at the absolute outer most part of the freewheel spindle

Attachments

• IMG_20220329_141232.jpg
    IMG_20220329_141232.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 25
A properly adjusted coaster brake will not induce any more drag than a freewheel/caliper brake combination.

Just like any mechanism, if cleaned properly, oiled/greased and you can be assured of the best stopping bike brakes you could want.

Add a Sturmey Archer/Suntour or Shimano Coaster brake 3 speed and you have gears as well.

BTW, you don't need the plastic guard to keep the derailleur out of the spokes.

Every brand/model of freewheel has different spline patterns, shoulder diameters, threaded cog thread specs, etc. Using a multi cog freewheel like you did really simplifies chain line issues. Standard 1-cog freewheels sit very close to the spokes and can throw the chain line way off. You can try to adjust by using a shorter crank axle, re-doing the spacers on the axle and rediishing the wheel or cold setting the frame to a narrower o.l.d.

Latest posts

Back