Freshening Up My Daughter's Vintage GT Outpost.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy gave me this thing years ago. It had those gawd-awful bull bars, no grips or tape, thin, dry rotted gum wall road tires, destroyed pedals, and a worn out and gummed up drive train.

I decided it was time to show my one and only daughter some love! :heart:

New Kenda City Slick tires, new Oury grips, new composite pedals from Wally World, suitable MTB handlebars of unknown origin from my stash, replaced brake levers from used parts bin, cleaned and repacked front wheel bearings, and a good de-greasing/cleaning of the chain, drive sprocket, derailleurs, and cassette.

Removed the hideous and yellowed plastic pie plate, and gave this rig an overall good scrubbing. Didn't do anything to rectify the worn teeth on drive sprocket, though. Nothing in my stash to fix it.
It's fine for what daughter does with it...casual cruising the neighborhood.

It's kinda beat up, but it's got character!

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

Last edited:
Ah, plastic pie plates - my yellowed one broke earlier this year while my beloved solid red 'romet' one is beginning to crack and I am going to have to retire it while it is still whole.

Legit Resto-Mod and fantastic paint for that vintage.

I picked up a GT Timberline a while back with splatter paint that could use similar treatment. I'll probably wait until I have a client for it, but may just go ahead and do something with it. Thinking a townie mod like yours, or a flow trail killer for the smooth dirt or pump tracks. Those triple triangle frames are stiff and hold turns extremely well.

Latest posts

Back