From 1 bike guy to another

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Got this local Schwinn today. He may be a member here- if so, speak up. Anyone guess what year? Do serial numbers work on these later models?
58DC3834-012D-44D5-8458-F16E23C83F3C.jpeg

local shop sticker. No longer in business. Note the lack of area code
FAAD978D-BCB4-4EAC-93BB-9189F1F663B6.jpeg

and these levers
8F981883-A92C-4A42-B5D1-4F859875BF31.jpeg

80's Schwinn Cruiser
Can be made into cool 26" BMX cruisers with that straight fork.
I've got a mint blue single speed coaster that I've done the BMX thing to. Don't have any good pics on this computer, though.

Yelp. Looks like an 86 model-maybe. Does anyone have the catalog from that year?
In other original pics on the World Wide Web, I’m seeing those weird brackets on the forks but no fenders. Still don’t know about those

Na, I don’t buy much. I’ve got too many already.
But a 26” BMX fork Schwinn for that price was impossible to pass up.
yes, I think it’s an 86 cuz it’s got the Schwinn sticker down the seat post like the catalog pic.
thanks y’all

That’s correct. Cruisers did not have fenders unless they were aftermarket and installed by the dealer or bike owner. HD had fenders as standard issue from the factory in Taiwan as shown in the catalog pics. Forks were the same for both.

"According to the catalog"
My guess is it's just marketing...
The wheels had heavier gauge spokes. The tires were thicker. But these frames I have are exactly alike.
They "might" be heavier wall tubing, but I doubt it.

"According to the catalog"
My guess is it's just marketing...
The wheels had heavier gauge spokes. The tires were thicker. But these frames I have are exactly alike.
They "might" be heavier wall tubing, but I doubt it.
On my older '64 and '65 HDs there was an extra amount of weld at a few points. They are the old cantilever style and where canti tubes meet seat post and bottom tube is an extra weld. Not sure if that is what they did, if anything on the model you have.

That’s what I love about this site- ask a question and lots of knowledge, experience and advice comes out. Well, mine won’t be having fenders.
I am collecting parts for another build and thought I’d put them on this Schwinn for the time being.
1FB7C810-4F4C-4D84-ABAC-D264F652295C.jpeg

Who’s gonna be the first to spot the single most valuable part?

That’s what I love about this site- ask a question and lots of knowledge, experience and advice comes out. Well, mine won’t be having fenders.
I am collecting parts for another build and thought I’d put them on this Schwinn for the time being.
View attachment 176553
Who’s gonna be the first to spot the single most valuable part?
The crank sprocket

Latest posts

Back