Front springfork problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, the concern is that the front fork of the bicycle touches the frame and damages the paint. How could this place be protected or what solution has anyone used? Thanks and good cranking.
20211211_165633.jpg

I have put a small piece of clear flexible plastic tubing from the hardware store on the springer arm. You get a little less turning radius. Get the tubing that is a slight tight fit so it won’t move down once in place. Or, buy a piece that’s a little less tight and make the piece long enough to rest on the pivot. This is a little more obvious but they both show. The clear tubing helps hide the fix a little. You have to take apart part of the springer, that’s easy, and stretch and work it on. It may take water as a lub. It’s naturally sticky so once in place it stays. It looks factory. I gave this bike away years ago so I have no photos. It keeps the paint from chipping, which happens for sure without this fix. Even if your careful riding the fork turns when parked and then you have a chip.

Last edited:
I have put a small piece of clear flexible plastic tubing from the hardware store on the springer arm. You get a little less turning radius. Get the tubing that is a slight tight fit so it won’t move down once in place. Or, buy a piece that’s a little less tight and make the piece long enough to rest on the pivot. This is a little more obvious but they both show. The clear tubing helps hide the fix a little. You have to take apart part of the springer, that’s easy, and stretch and work it on. It may take water as a lub. It’s naturally sticky so once in place it stays. It looks factory. I gave this bike away years ago so I have no photos.
Thanks mate it's a good idea!

I have put a small piece of clear flexible plastic tubing from the hardware store on the springer arm. You get a little less turning radius. Get the tubing that is a slight tight fit so it won’t move down once in place. Or, buy a piece that’s a little less tight and make the piece long enough to rest on the pivot. This is a little more obvious but they both show. The clear tubing helps hide the fix a little. You have to take apart part of the springer, that’s easy, and stretch and work it on. It may take water as a lub. It’s naturally sticky so once in place it stays. It looks factory. I gave this bike away years ago so I have no photos. It keeps the paint from chipping, which happens for sure without this fix. Even if your careful riding the fork turns when parked and then you have a chip.
Second that. Rubber tube or heat shrink tubing if you want low profile

Latest posts

Back