Functional-rbbo17

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second Matti's emotion on the black apes. Fits the lines and mood of the build.

I know I said no banana seat this build but the mini apes were popular and my brain thinks apes need a banana seat. So today I mocked that up
181F9D99-56DC-440A-B489-834C8F6E2160.jpeg
841416DB-32C3-431F-9825-FDD77BE0AB5F.jpeg
538E4732-9D67-4969-93EE-E3A16F277550.jpeg

Didn’t have a kid handy to get it down today but the mock up is neat.

You could lace in a coaster brake hub. A red band Bendix would be great on there.

The springer has tabs on the flanges. When compressed, they contact the fork arms to make the stop. As long as your tire isn't touching the housing up top, you should be fine. If the flanges are reversed like I did on mine, there's no contact for the tabs.

30 hawthorne.jpeg

In between youth baseball, wrestling conditioning and prep for the tournament this weekend I’ve been prepping my car for next weekends charity burnout contest. That’s how I came up with this swell cable holder
E837975F-5C99-4A61-B763-7D3403C6782E.jpeg

Still couldn’t use the cable housing.
300B78F3-386D-4317-9FD1-9F3D57939FDE.jpeg

but I did have an old one piece housing on a derailer. Had to trim it some but I have a functional brake.
1E45AB9E-3CF1-404E-B97D-F4422CB10D30.jpeg

might have to paint it black if I don’t change this goofy brake mount. Part of me wants to mount it on the top tube but I don’t want to mess up the tank!
3B65D4C0-AF56-476A-938E-DEFA871B8D44.jpeg

the plan is to ride it tomorrow and see how practical it is or isn’t. Can always order a new cable and use the other uncut housing to mount it conventionally

I think you could mount it on the bar without doing it conventionally, just move it up a couple of inches. Have it on the flat bottom portion of the bar with the clamp beside the stem. You might even be able to use the same cable if there's enough slack under the bb

Little over 5 mile test ride this afternoon. Mostly using this for my memory but the brakes need adjusted, and maybe newer pads but it does work. The gearing needs changed. Going to try a 36 or 39 on front. With the banana seat positioning it’s just a bit more gear then I want.
01815B76-5CEA-4284-9023-992AEE8C32F5.jpeg

post ride photo because photos make things better

Not sure what thread it was but reading them today someone commented they would like to see more mock ups. So while I had it down to check step over I grabbed a photo. View attachment 192033
the fresh paint on the fork looks a lot different then the old frame
Rustoleum now makes a ‘Chalked Matte Clear’ I saw it the other day at either Target or Home Depot. Maybe a chalky finish on the fork would make it blend better with that awesome patina on the frame

I immediately thought Rollfast. I’ve never owned one, but I’ve heard they are get riders
Rollfasts are ok. Ride pretty good. Not incredible. I think they just look cool.

I built a 24” Rollfast for my daughter in last year’s BO, flipped a black one a few summers ago.

the black one was super cool And sold it to a college kid who was going to use it as a commuter.

the bikes were never high volume bikes and were made in NY, mostly Little Falls, which is an hour or two from Central New York, so they’re pretty common around here.

I think they were sold through hardware and farm stores.

if you find one for $100 or so, and it’s pretty complete, nab it!

All of that and no cork-sniffing!

Another attendee at the Pedal Peddle this past Saturday (Richard from CO Springs) made a highly positive comment to this very same effect. The knowledge here and ability to share it unconditionally is an excellent attribute.

This made me laugh and reminded me of the SouthPark SMUG episode.

smug-south.gif

I love how this one is progressing. Killer look with the beehive springer. I'm a big fan of the 700c red tires and wheelset too. The nanner and apes just feel right too. Nice work man! Looking great!

Latest posts

Back