Functional-rbbo17

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rollfasts are ok. Ride pretty good. Not incredible. I think they just look cool.

I built a 24” Rollfast for my daughter in last year’s BO, flipped a black one a few summers ago.

the black one was super cool And sold it to a college kid who was going to use it as a commuter.

the bikes were never high volume bikes and were made in NY, mostly Little Falls, which is an hour or two from Central New York, so they’re pretty common around here.

I think they were sold through hardware and farm stores.

if you find one for $100 or so, and it’s pretty complete, nab it!
Hawthornes (sold by Montgomery Wards) were made by CWC and Snyder at first, then were mostly made by Snyder, who made Rollfast. When CWC moved to Arkansas with the forward facing dropouts, then all Hawthornes were Snyder I think.

I rode a 57 Rollfast way back in the 70's to my job at Denny's and back everyday. There are tons of them out there. None around where I live though.
I would have liked to keep my 42 Hawthorne, same as a Rollfast, but it would have been a small fortune to ship it here. Maybe I should have cut up the frame to fit in a small box, then have it welded back together here. :39:

23031713_1633906963297435_3148918954980579916_n.jpg

Hawthornes (sold by Montgomery Wards) were made by CWC and Snyder at first, then were mostly made by Snyder, who made Rollfast. When CWC moved to Arkansas with the forward facing dropouts, then all Hawthornes were Snyder I think.

I rode a 57 Rollfast way back in the 70's to my job at Denny's and back everyday. There are tons of them out there. None around where I live though.
I would have liked to keep my 42 Hawthorne, same as a Rollfast, but it would have been a small fortune to ship it here. Maybe I should have cut up the frame to fit in a small box, then have it welded back together here. :39:

View attachment 195750
I do think that the Snyder facility was in little falls and the Rollfast HQ was in NYC somewhere?

Rollfast started as/was made by DP Harris which I think was like farm stores then morphed or partnered with Snyder Manufacturing.

Last edited:
Whatever it is it doesn’t ride horrible but it still needs some sorting. Gearing change at a minimum

Little over 5 mile test ride this afternoon. Mostly using this for my memory but the brakes need adjusted, and maybe newer pads but it does work. The gearing needs changed. Going to try a 36 or 39 on front. With the banana seat positioning it’s just a bit more gear then I want. View attachment 195689
post ride photo because photos make things better
If you want to use that chain wheel, just change the cog out to couple more teeth. You'd have to add a link or two to the chain.

Spaceliner guards are always fun and cool. Go for it!

My original plans included the 3 piece crank I’m not using with the direction this build went. So Amazon to the rescue
BFF74F4F-C4E2-4AE2-BF5F-90942D1FDEDB.jpeg

18F02B73-7A2A-4321-BD65-78F161B29AFB.jpeg

nothing fancy but should be fine for some commuting work.
BAD03758-D482-4194-8583-C490219B5115.jpeg

I think this guard is the winner. Came off a ladies bike named warrior. Needs painted because in the light you would see how much crustier it is then the rest of the bike.

A020A4CE-CB3C-45EC-8AF5-9F943F87EAE6.jpeg
82CAEC23-0203-431D-8269-4AB4C6F8B60E.jpeg
After a sandpaper scuff to knock the flakes off and spraying it down with the hose the original blue is really close to a blue from a former build off bike
F6C190E3-10BB-4E3B-A947-C383C5C2480C.jpeg
ohh and I won the prior mentioned burnout contest in car and overall. Now back to riding the bike to work to cover that premium fuel!

My bike time was interrupted tonight. I love that my kid rides the build off bikes we built for him but he breaks stuff.
C4245E1C-C933-4E75-813B-3B0288120369.jpeg

having it on the bike stand did bring to my attention I seem to have developed a “type” for my build off bikes. His was last years.
B6B33DF4-4124-46F9-A77E-832126157826.jpeg

This was built 2 years ago.
7031E5FB-052A-447C-BFA7-ABEC0F8DA20C.jpeg

And of course this years. Aside from the 700c wheels and a handbrake it’s pretty much the same bike. It will likely replace the blue one, although I’m really fond of it.

Your brain knows what it wants.
Looks good

Maybe you know already, but that's a Snyder chain guard. The Warrior was a Firestone branded Snyder I think.

Maybe you know already, but that's a Snyder chain guard. The Warrior was a Firestone branded Snyder I think.
Didn’t have a clue, was just a very rough woman’s bike a friend gave me so I took the few parts I may use and sent it onto the scrapper. I really like how it looks and it bolted on like it was made for it

Didn’t have a clue, was just a very rough woman’s bike a friend gave me so I took the few parts I may use and sent it onto the scrapper. I really like how it looks and it bolted on like it was made for it
On a lot of bikes, the dropouts and chain guard have their a distinctive style. Chain wheels also. That's how I ID a lot of the 50's and 60's bikes.

Latest posts

Back