Galaxy 2 "Precision" 10 Speed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this old bike for free called a Galaxy 2 Precision 10 Speed. Definitely isn't precision like the name suggests, as it has Falcon derailleurs + horrid plastic shifters and cheap steel brakes and levers. It also has cottered cranks and steel, 26 inch wheels. I picked it up for free an I enjoy looking at cheap bikes from obscure brands, but doing a Google search, I found out that it was more common than I first thought. It is made in South Korea by the way. It reminds me of the Fuji SJ-10 that I bought a couple of months ago, but with simpler lugs and cheaper components.

I don't have a picture of it, but here is one that I found on the internet.
screenshot_20220119_201244_chrome_895d24289f5eb2df0c720d5f67c0b628a1b2f43d.jpg

I will post a picture of mine when I'm finished building it back up.

I've found that rebuilding older cheaper lugged frame 10 speed bikes to be very fun. Some of the cheaper derailleurs actually work extremely well from that era. I rebuilt a Ross one piece crank 10 speed with their patent skip tooth large chainring up front. The skiptooth was for easy front derailleur shifting. So with the cheap Suntour front derailleur this bike shifted great up front because of the skip tooth. I put an older steel Suntour GT steel derailleur on the back. The thing was butter and shifted the rear 5 speed cog better than a Campagnolo Record derailleur on a Schwinn Paramount I owned in the early 70's. No wonder the Japanese equipment took over. What size are the 26" wheels? Looking forward to your build.

Galaxy Par Excellence and an identical Randor Par Excellence and another Randor have passed through my hands on the way to the scrap bins. I might have a head badge or two somewhere. Dawes (England) manufactured a Galaxy and a Super Galaxy but yours isn't one of those.

I put an older steel Suntour GT steel derailleur on the back. The thing was butter and shifted the rear 5 speed cog better than a Campagnolo Record derailleur on a Schwinn Paramount I owned in the early 70's. No wonder the Japanese equipment took over.
In case a client wants gears for their bike, I have a stash of Suntour GT series and Shimano RD-L512 rear derailleurs. They are heavy-ish, but shift really well and will run forever. The low occurance of plastic in them is one of the things I like best because they clean up easily and look great too.

Here was a picture from a month ago. The rear wheel is dead so I have to find a new 26" road wheel. I also am planning on installing some square taper cranks.
20220209_174614.jpg

I have a feeling that they produced my Murray Sebring. It looks identical. I got rid of the drop bars added BMX ones and replaced the seat and it is a fine bike. I also have a Kia bike that looks similar. cottered cranks same componants

Attachments

• Sebring.jpg
    Sebring.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back