Garage sale Columbia Tandem - all original

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Central New York State near the Erie Canal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I've dropped back to lurker status this year. Very busy with motorcycle projects. But today I found this tandem at a garage sale...

This bike appears to me to have all original parts. Even has the sticker where it was bought. At first I thought the grips were changed but they match and are coordinated with the black/white color scheme. The chain appears to be plated! The chrome isn't bad but will need some steel wool. I pressure washed off the green moldy stuff from storage. Spent the usual 45 minutes adjusting and lubricating. It is ready to test ride. It began to rain just as I finished work on it. I don't know if I can get my wife to ride it with me, but when I rolled it into the yard and she saw it she had quite a smile on her face.

It does look all there and in good condition. The forks are straight which is proof it wasn't abused. The cranks are in sync which means there hasn't been any work done on it. You might want newer tires, 26 x 1.75 is the size probably. That will improve the ride. Then a little white touchup paint and it'll look new again. The chainguard might need adjustment, it looks like the rear crank was scraping it. It has a BMA6 decal which was added in1971 and later on.

Where the heck is the serial number? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks for the comments. Not sure I'll be able to ride with my wife. She's a bit skittish on bicycles. I don't expect it to work but will give it a try.

The number on a Columbia is a smaller font and isn't as easily seen as other bikes. It should be on the left dropout.
columbia.jpg

It should be a letter followed by 6 numbers.

My first wife couldn't ride a bike but could ride well as the stoker on our tandem. I was surprised that it wasn't a chore staying balanced.

Latest posts

Back