Generator light not working

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know how to get these things back to life?

I went through all the connections and they looked ok, put in a new LED lamp.....

Thing is dead to the world!!!!
BF890DDD-4DC7-4F44-9323-50D0E211F11A.jpeg

5E3D2B9E-3010-4982-B751-A5190438DE88.jpeg

E2864832-2DB8-4100-BC65-B09DD4C63CD4.jpeg

There should be a small screw with a point on the end where it mounts to the fork
make sure it pierces the paint as that is your ground.
oops just looked shouldn't matter with this single unit type .
Also I have rejuvenated old dynamo lights by sticking a powerful magnet to them
as sometimes the magnets get tired and fail .
leave the magnet on overnight then try again .
Also leds are tricky with a dynamo they tend to strobe only one I have had any luck with is an old Swiss made one .
There is a circuit you can build out there with a capacitor that can cure that problem .

Yes, I agree that LEDs can be problematic, as such dynamos produce AC rather than DC, without much in the way of voltage regulation. So I would start with a tested incandescent bulb, if you can still find one in an old torch.

Does it turn without feeling rough, yet bumpily - as it passes the magnets? Does the driver wheel fit snugly on the tire with enough force to keep it turning?

I thought about converting mine to run LED, but the guides on the internet seem to assume I will want to order some chip and stuff to do it. Why not a diode bridge, or even one made out of 4 LEDS?

I have some generator lights around here. I used to love them as a kid - No Batteries!
I have not rode one since a kid also, sucky part was the light going out when stopping, Capacitor might help with that or maybe small phone type power cell?

Latest posts

Back