Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2m4ofid.jpg

Here's My Onyx 29er, finally got the 175mm crank I wanted, and also purchased a swayback seatpost for him. Riding on some Schwalbe Big Apple 29" x 2" Slicks, they ride so smooth :D And yes I did make a stick shifter out of my gripshift. took off the rear fender in place went a mudflap fender. And on the rear rims i have CDs for Reflectors. Truly love this ride :D Sorry for the poor quality of the pic, used my cell phone
Nice! Did the Big apple tires fit the original rims?

I don't see why not unless the onyx has some weird sizing, I don't own an onyx just know about the thickslicks.

any 700c (or mtb 29er) tire should work.

I've ridden my Onyx frame
  1. Racing at the Velodrome
  2. Fakawi swamp riding
  3. Key Biscayne Mtn Bike Trails
  4. Hollywood Broadwalk - Metric Century (62 miles)
  5. To work (yuck) with panniers it's now my commuter bike...
Below are 7 of 10 of the variations I've built up in the last two years. The only part that I replaced out of 'need' was the bottom bracket, because I wanted a cartridge BB instead of the loose bearing version it came with...

4289812_orig.jpg

Flat Bars - LED wrapped. Night time urban riding.

1026490_orig.jpg

Clubman handlebars, suspension seatpost, 38c tires, front brake.

7076063_orig.jpg

Nanner/Sissy, clubman bars in boardtrack style.

2569695_orig.jpg

Fixed Gear, drop handlebars, for Velodrome.

2543450_orig.jpg

Classic Nanner/Sissy/short apes look.

8711580_orig.jpg

knobby tires, setback seatpost, triple trees, wide apehangers, panniers/rack.

7443328_orig.jpg

2.125 steel rims, clubman bars, setback seatpost, triple trees, whitewalls

So I have one of these amazing bikes. They are awesome. However, I feel like I reached the point where an upgrade is needed.

I love the idea of putting the front fender on the back to give it a chopped look. That rocks, Ill have to try that.

Has anyone replaced the bearings yet? Crank bearings and/or wheel bearings? If so, what sizes did you have to purchase.

I'm also looking to swap out the tires. I hear everyone talking about the schwalbe big apple tires. Do they fit? Do they still keep the beefy appearance of the bike?

If you have any details to your upgrades, please let me know.
Thank you!

I did run into a problem with the shifter on the handlebars. The Onex bars are 1" and the shifter is for normal 7/8" bars so I have installed a different set of 7/8" bars that I like better than the originals. The shifter fits fine now. Also any handle bar accessories, bell, mirror, ect fit the new bars better now anyway.

WOW man Awesome work! Id love to see the other 3 if you can dig up any pics.

I just grabbed one for $100 from a small bike shop on Biscayne blvd. its kind stripped down though and pieced by together with some spare parts. Im gonna put some love into it and throw a few new parts etc.
Already put a new seat but working to peel off all stickers and add grips and some lights next free moment I have. Im searching for a front fender to throw on the back if you or anyone else has a spare they'd be willing to let go. Rains a lot down here in MIA especially right-now.

I've ridden my Onyx frame
  1. Racing at the Velodrome
  2. Fakawi swamp riding
  3. Key Biscayne Mtn Bike Trails
  4. Hollywood Broadwalk - Metric Century (62 miles)
  5. To work (yuck) with panniers it's now my commuter bike...
Below are 7 of 10 of the variations I've built up in the last two years. The only part that I replaced out of 'need' was the bottom bracket, because I wanted a cartridge BB instead of the loose bearing version it came with...

4289812_orig.jpg

Flat Bars - LED wrapped. Night time urban riding.

1026490_orig.jpg

Clubman handlebars, suspension seatpost, 38c tires, front brake.

7076063_orig.jpg

Nanner/Sissy, clubman bars in boardtrack style.

2569695_orig.jpg

Fixed Gear, drop handlebars, for Velodrome.

2543450_orig.jpg

Classic Nanner/Sissy/short apes look.

8711580_orig.jpg

knobby tires, setback seatpost, triple trees, wide apehangers, panniers/rack.

7443328_orig.jpg

2.125 steel rims, clubman bars, setback seatpost, triple trees, whitewalls

So happy to find this thread. Bought my Onyx all beat up and missing tons of parts just liked the look and on South Beach bikes get stolen all the time so I didn't want to put to much into it. But the way it looks right now it need some love I was starting to get a little embarrassed riding it around as it didn't even have grips when i got it.

Thanks to you all I am re inspired and gonna put a little TLC into it. Already added a new seat. Just ordered some simple grips and will pull all the decals off probably next weekend.

I am looking to add a front brake but I am not too savy as I am learning looking for something inexpensive but not crap if anyone could suggest. http://www.amazon.com/Projekt-Fixie..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=15A5S62FZQ2KNPD9QS6V
* I have learned our bars are 25mm or 1" as opposed to mostly 7/8 and these lever has a clamp thats on the 7/8 size i should be able to force that on right? 1" stuff is so hard to find.

I'd love to get my hands on a original front fender to throw on the back to give the chopped look. Unless some one has got one lying around that I can buy off them, I can send you the fedex label too.

Gonna throw a retro light on the front and maybe some other goodies as I get ideas from you all. Thanks for posting guys!

Last edited:
Finally took some updated pics of my ride:

23jo9d3.jpg

2qi1zyq.jpg

Earlier today the chain and rear derailleur snapped, so that's gunna be worked on tonight, i have an old rear derailler I'm gunna test out on it, otherwise i'll be ordering a new one. I'm really considering wanting to invest in a nexus 3-7 speed hub set and eliminating the need for a derailleur. I finally got those Schawlbe Big Apples, the front sporting 2.0, the rear a 2.35, and I had to use an old 2.0 to tuck inside to make the rear tire a bit more puncture resistant. Also got some new high risers and a matching short neck. running a 175mm crank with a 44t chainring, and a couple of years back i modified the grip shift to operate as a sitck shift. For having this bike for around 3 or so years its been through many miles and parts LOL, and gotta keep him going :D

Hello, anyone know where I can get some parts of rone of these? I need all the internal poarts for the rear hub. I got the bike from a kid that thought he was going to just take the rear sproket off and put a free wheel one on, and lost all the internal parts. I got the bike for free he was going to pitch it after found out the free wheel sproket he had wouldnt work.

I bought a KT Hi-stop hub and swapped out the internals. It worked great. I also tried shimano cb-110 internals and that did not work at all. Some kind of grinding, ratcheting thing going on. I went back to the hi stop stuff and no problems. You can buy just parts off amazon, if you need all the internals it might be cheaper to get a complete hub though. Good luck, James

Hello, anyone know where I can get some parts of rone of these? I need all the internal poarts for the rear hub. I got the bike from a kid that thought he was going to just take the rear sproket off and put a free wheel one on, and lost all the internal parts. I got the bike for free he was going to pitch it after found out the free wheel sproket he had wouldnt work.
If it's the standard garden variety china clone coasterbrake, I have had good luck swapping guts between manufacturers and wheel sizes such as kids 10 1/2" sidewalk bike parts in a 29er... I would also recommend the following mod - easy to do and a real improvement... http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....-rodding-your-cb-hub-for-klunking-duty.93356/ :)

What’s up everyone.
So I finally got around to making some changes to my bike.

Beside putting some rockbros pedals on it, I wanted to replace the bottom bracket and tires.

Since there isn’t any info on this bike, or finding info is very tough I wanted to post the size of the bottom bracket. I actually ordered the wrong size because of a review on amazon. So the bottom bracket is 68mm which was on the review, however the other measurement was wrong. After removing the stock bracket, it is 120mm. They just don’t make a 120mm bottom bracket (well, they don’t make a 120mm UN55). So I have just ordered a 68x118mm bottom bracket. We’ll see how it goes in a few days. The bracket cap was a pain to get on so I don’t want to try a different style. Hope to keep the cap in place.

Getting the stock BB off was a pain and putting the new BB cap on was too.

Also put on some 2.35 big apples. They were a bit of a pain to get on the rim but they look good. Problem is, to get the rear wheel back on the bike, you have to deflate the tire. Hopefully that’s all.
I’ll know more once I get the new BB put on and get to give it a ride.

Pics to come soon. Wanted to post this info on the BB before I forgot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back