Glendular Fever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
28/06/2014

My Build Off Nine entry...

Glendular Fever

Well, I was not going to participate in this one. My excuse was that I didn't really have room for another bike.

But after looking at all the inspiring builds, and a little fellow on my shoulder telling me that it is easier to move a bike around than a pile of parts, I have decided to assemble some parts into a bike.

I looked at some frames and saw these…

01_Frames.jpg

They are aluminium and I wasn't sure what to do with them since I can't weld aluminium. So I have decided to use the black and silver ones and bolt / rivet them together.

Here is the result…

02_FrameMod.jpg

03_Frame.jpg

I put it on the drawing I used for Rattled in B.O.8 to check for size etc. and it looks okay… a bit smaller, but should work.

And to see if it would hold my weight, I chucked a seat and some wheels on…

04_MockUp.jpg

After sitting on it and it not breaking, I have decided I'll continue.

Earlier in the year I decided that since I turn 50 this year, any bike I build would have "Glen" somewhere in the name. This was discussed in another thread way back then and someone came up with Glendular Fever, but I can't remember who and can't even remember the thread it was in… so if it was you, thanks :113:

Glen.

This was discussed in another thread way back then and someone came up with Glendular Fever, but I can't remember who and can't even remember the thread it was in… so if it was you, thanks :113:

Glen.
That might have been me I think Glen! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the craziness!

Luke.

Welcome aboard buddy!
Is that anything like Saturday Night Fever??
Boogie on brother!

I have a warped mind, but this reminds me of two frogs mating piggyback style. Glen, I hope you know that if there are any offspring as a result of this breeding experiment, you can still only have one build entered in BONINE.

Thanks for all the comments fellow travelers… except jasper87. I didn't know what Human Centipede was so I searched and wish I didn't. That's just sick. And people wonder why the world is so messed up. I really hate horror films and that's just plain disgusting. It truly is the work of a warped mind… so kingfish, you are off the hook with the mating frog reference.

As far as Glendular Fever being contagious is concerned, I looked it up on wikipedia and the closest I could find was Glandular Fever…

"Infectious mononucleosis (IM; also known as mono, glandular fever, Pfeiffer's disease, Filatov's disease,[1] and sometimes colloquially as the kissing disease (from its oral transmission)) is an infectious, widespread viral disease caused by the Epstein–Barr virus (EBV), one type of herpes virus, against which over 90% of adults are likely to have acquired immunity by the age of 40."

So, yes… it is contagious. I will make sure I don't kiss it, but since I am nearly 50, I should be safe if I do get the urge. :blush:

Having said that, perhaps if I get other people to kiss it, they might get the disease and start making custom bicycles… which would be a good thing.

Glen.

Thanks for all the comments fellow travelers… except jasper87. I didn't know what Human Centipede was so I searched and wish I didn't. That's just sick. And people wonder why the world is so messed up. I really hate horror films and that's just plain disgusting. It truly is the work of a warped mind… so kingfish, you are off the hook with the mating frog reference.

As far as Glendular Fever being contagious is concerned, I looked it up on wikipedia and the closest I could find was Glandular Fever…

"Infectious mononucleosis (IM; also known as mono, glandular fever, Pfeiffer's disease, Filatov's disease,[1] and sometimes colloquially as the kissing disease (from its oral transmission)) is an infectious, widespread viral disease caused by the Epstein–Barr virus (EBV), one type of herpes virus, against which over 90% of adults are likely to have acquired immunity by the age of 40."

So, yes… it is contagious. I will make sure I don't kiss it, but since I am nearly 50, I should be safe if I do get the urge. :blush:

Having said that, perhaps if I get other people to kiss it, they might get the disease and start making custom bicycles… which would be a good thing.

Glen.

Haha I hate horror movies too, and agree with you about all these new unbelievably twisted horror movies. The writers should be in psyche wards, not directors chairs... Your bike is really cool tho, cant wait to see how it turns out!

03/06/2014

I have made a gear shift mount…

05_GearShiftMount.jpg

It attaches where a drink bottle cradle once was. Here is the left side to control the rear gears…

06_GearsLeft.jpg

Here is the right side to control the front gears…

07_GearsRight.jpg

And here is the front gear cable. It dangles a bit low so I might have to re-do it.

08_GearsMounted.jpg

Glen.

04/07/2014

Did a bit more on the gear levers today.

Slotted some tube to fit over the gear twist grip bits…

09_GearsPart.jpg

Welded them to some steel for levers…

10_GearLevers.jpg

Test mounted them…

11_GearLevers.jpg

I also did a basic design concept for some body work that will (hopefully :rolleyes:) cover the ugliness of the frame...

12_Body.jpg

I have been wanting to do this on a bike for ages and would preferably use aluminium to do it, but it costs too much. And I don't have the skill or desire to try fiberglass, which would probably take too long anyway. So I might do it in paper mache over a cardboard form. Not sure if it will eventuate… but I gotta cover that frame somehow o_O

Glen.

Nice idea on the shifters!
Get a few rolls of roof flashing to make your bike shell.

Latest posts

Back