Glendular Fever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments everyone. I did the same basic shifter idea on my muscle bike build "Chopster Part 2".

Nice idea on the shifters!
Get a few rolls of roof flashing to make your bike shell.

Roof flashing aye... might just look into that. I did think of getting lots of aluminium drink cans and cutting them open to flatten out, but I don't drink beer or fizzy drink so I don't have an easy supply of cans, and I don't fancy scrounging for them in rubbish bins.

Glen.

That's what I made my skirtguard flames from on Firewing last year.

That's what I made my skirtguard flames from on Firewing last year.

Well I have just been looking online for aluminium roof flashing rolls and it seems that none of the hardware shops here in good old New Zealand stock the stuff. :rolleyes: I'll continue to search though as it looks ideal and easy to work with.

In the meantime, I will keep on saving all the newspapers I can find for some paper mache craft work...

Glen.

05/07/2014

Made some bars today…

13_Bars.jpg

Quite pleased with them… been wanting to build some like this for a while :dance2:

Getting close to being able to test ride :113:

Glen.

08/07/2014

Got it rideable and was just about to wheel it down the drive to the street for a test ride when suddenly… it started to rain… heavy. It hasn't stopped since, so no test ride I am afraid. :cry: I will have to be content with the wee ride I did from inside the garage out to the driveway before the rain came.

14_Rideable.jpg

15_Rideable.jpg

16_Rideable.jpg

Now I just have to see about making it look better. :39:

Glen.

How did the geometry feel?

If you end up trying to cover it with the aluminum roof flashing, you could make up random riveted panels to give it a ratty WWII bomber or salt flats racer look.
desk-metal.jpg

Louvers.jpg

If you end up trying to cover it with the aluminum roof flashing, you could make up random riveted panels to give it a ratty WWII bomber or salt flats racer look.
desk-metal.jpg

Louvers.jpg

Yes... that was my intention when thinking of flattening out drink cans. Rivet together with silver side out to make a patchwork. The photos you show are sooo much how I wanted it.

Unfortunately, it seems that the flashing rolls are not available here in New Zealand. I checked the Bunnings website and nothing. It is available in Bunnings Australia though, so it might just not be listed on the NZ site. I will pop in to see.

However, I am not really expecting it to be there. The landlord sent a roofer here to fix the roof the other day and I asked him about the flashing rolls... he didn't know what I was talking about. But I don't think he was a "profesional" ;)

We'll see :39:

Glen.

12/07/2014

11111111.jpg

There was a break in the weather today so took the naked Glendular Fever for a test ride.

:13: Wow… it rides really well. I am actually surprised. It is so light and, dare I say it… nimble. o_O

However, that nimbleness will most likely vanish if / when the bodywork gets done. I continued with the cardboard form today and ended with this…

17_Body.jpg

18_Body.jpg

19_Body.jpg

I also went to Bunnings hardware to ask about the flashing rolls but the guy there had never heard of it. They did have some aluminium sheets but too expensive for me at the moment - $63.25 for one sheet. I can't remember the exact size but it was about 1 X 1.2 metres.

So I will attempt the old paper mache over the cardboard trick... but not holding my breath that it'll be done in time. :rolleyes:

Glen.

that looks wild!
what about covering it with plaster of Paris using cheesecloth?

that looks wild!
I was thinking along the same lines; use spray paint made for plastic materials and attach faux rivets for the aircraft alumunium look.

that looks wild!

Not sure how it will take bumps though. Or how heavy it would be.

can't ride it in the wet or bumpy rough roads , won't hold up to road debri!

Ride in the wet? o_O

Bumpy rough roads? o_Oo_O

What ARE you talking about? o_Oo_Oo_O

Who rides bikes in THOSE conditions? :39:

But in all seriousness, I had thought of that and reckon some good coats of paint over the paper mache should do the trick. Marine paint would be best probably… hang on a minute while I look…

Musical Interlude…

Okay, I'm back. Yes… a bit of research and I have found the following…

1. "yacht" or "marine" varnish is the one to use and re-apply annually

2. Use a high quality carpenters glue instead of flour and water for sticking down the paper.

This was for a paper mache sculpture to be outside in all weather, so my bike covering should be okay I think. Eventually I will get some aluminium to make a better version… hopefully. :rolleyes:

Glen.

Latest posts

Back