Glendular Fever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ride in the wet? o_O

Bumpy rough roads? o_Oo_O

What ARE you talking about? o_Oo_Oo_O

Who rides bikes in THOSE conditions? :39:

But in all seriousness, I had thought of that and reckon some good coats of paint over the paper mache should do the trick. Marine paint would be best probably… hang on a minute while I look…

Musical Interlude…

Okay, I'm back. Yes… a bit of research and I have found the following…

1. "yacht" or "marine" varnish is the one to use and re-apply annually

2. Use a high quality carpenters glue instead of flour and water for sticking down the paper.

This was for a paper mache sculpture to be outside in all weather, so my bike covering should be okay I think. Eventually I will get some aluminium to make a better version… hopefully. :rolleyes:

Glen.

Glen,

I believe it will do the trick. I had many nay sayers when I "painted" my bike using deck paint and aging it with beeswax. Go for it.

20 / 07 / 2014

First layer of paper over the cardboard on one side and top…

20_Body.jpg

I did this yesterday and it seems to be drying okay even in our cold and damp conditions here. I will do the other side today and leave it to dry off a few days before doing another layer.

Glen.

21 / 07 / 2014

Here is the front fender…

21_FrontFender.jpg

It's (kind of) sunny here today so I will do some more paper mache over the main body and hopefully the fender too.

Apparently when doing paper mache, some people wait for one layer to dry before applying the next and others just continue layering until they have the desired amount of layers. I did read somewhere that there is no point in waiting for one layer to dry because it will just get wet again with subsequent layers. Makes sense to me… pretty obvious really when you think about it. So I will just pile it on and then wait for it all to dry before painting.

I only have 10 days before I go away, so I had better get on with it. :eek:

Glen.

It just take's longer to dry if you pack to many layers on.But should dry quicker inside the house...
Anymore progress?

It just take's longer to dry if you pack to many layers on.But should dry quicker inside the house...
Anymore progress?

Thanks, Yes... it's done...

30 / 07 / 2014

Well, it is as done as it is going to be for now. I real am not happy with the body. I didn't do a good job of paper mache and I just lost interest. Here is the second layer of paper...

22_Body.jpg

I was intending on going for a trip to visit my niece for her birthday but I had to get some dental work done yesterday so I now can't afford the trip. So I COULD spend more time on it but I just can't be bothered.

Here is Glendular Fever...

23_Done.jpg

24_Done.jpg

25_Done.jpg

It rides ok but the front fender gets in the way of my feet when turning, so if I ever do a body in aluminium, I will have to adjust things a bit.

Here is a ride video…

Glen.

Is it me? Seems like your pedaling and going nowhere?Or is it in low gear...Def looks like something from Star Wars.... Cool.

Is it me? Seems like your pedaling and going nowhere?Or is it in low gear...Def looks like something from Star Wars.... Cool.

No... it's not you. I am pedaling and getting nowhere.:blush: So yeah... low gear. :whistle: Should be good for getting up the hills around here. Gears work but it needs better levers.

Thanks to everyone else for the positive comments.

My friend here also said I should call it the "batbike".

Glen.

Sorry you lost interest in it buddy, but I like it! I was skeptical about a paper mache body, but it look really cool.
BRAVO!

Kiwi kruiser instead of batbike, sorry to hear about dental incident as they don't just empty the bank account the pain makes it hard to concentrate on anything else.

The feel of where you were going with the body kit comes through. Maybe a new lower cost way to mock up major cost items.

Latest posts

Back