God forsaken in the best of times

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nevada does not get that cold at all. After High School I worked in a Motel in Reno Nv. as a desk clerk for a few years. In February the South and North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, crowd would drive to California for some relief. They would stop their cars in our drive, get out in T shirts, walk in from the snow falling and say, "My God the weather is warm here". My High School had an ROTC shooting range built into it. We all learned safe gun handling and how to shoot better than how we had been shooting.

My parents have wedding photos on top of a fifteen foot snow bank. The parties' heads are just below the snow bank. Getting trapped and taking a day or two to dig out of chest deep was at least a yearly event growing up. We haven't gotten eight inches this winter. Ice storms are the new norm. The Canada geese haven't even split for warmer locations yet, they're just standing around looking depressed. Once in highschool I went on a skiing trip, wind chill dipped below -55°c. You could only get in one or two runs before having to warm up. This year we haven't even seen -20 yet.
- 40C is the same as -40F. The lodge owner in White River said “that’s where Mr. Celsius meets Mrs. Fahrenheit”. -55, that’s getting on towards cold, -67F. Yikes, that’s the coldest I have ever experienced. Our water pipes in the basement that were along the cement wall froze and burst, but we had about 10 days of -20F for a brief high during the day and -30sF at night. It started to slowly warm up after the -67, but that, on top of the extended cold were just too much. I had the water slowly running in my basement utility sink as this usually prevents frozen pipes, but not that night. I had water on the basemen floor.

Feels like -5F today in Connecticut. No one is happy.
She gets really happy in -5f, which it was when I snapped this pic.
20220101_093051.jpg

Being half Akita, one of her favorite things to do is take a nap in the snow.

A neighbor had an Akita that napped outside in snow storms until she was completely covered. She loved it.

+7 F now, -4 F this morning. I don’t know what it is windchill wise but I had to put my Covid mask on halfway on our walk to the lake drain pool to feed the Trumpeter Swans. The pool drains 4 lakes into the one just below so it always stays open and the swans stay here. Trumpeter Swans are North America’s largest water foul.

We had some trumpeter swans on the lake behind my house all summer for a few years. They haven't returned in the last couple of years. I miss them, they are fun to watch and they keep the geese honest. I see them pretty regular on the river though. We've been getting egrets that come up into the yard to swallow their catch. My dogs bark at them and the egrets aren't fazed at all.

Lol we got GANGS of geese around here. Your pretty swans wouldn't stand a chance. They attack dogs, people, even cars! They nest all along the bike path and you gotta dodge them, cuz they come at ya!
https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/04/canada-geese-are-attacking-people-and-cars-toronto/
This geese photo is from about a week or two ago. They stayed overnight in a large circle fighting to keep a hole clear when the ice was forming. A few days ago there were easily a thousand hanging out on top the ice that I'm guessing was on a late flight to the south.

Every time I see geese coming into my yard I let my dogs out to chase them away. Geese eating the lawn and pooping does not make for a good backyard experience.

20220104_064356.jpg

Lol we got GANGS of geese around here. Your pretty swans wouldn't stand a chance. They attack dogs, people, even cars! They nest all along the bike path and you gotta dodge them, cuz they come at ya!
https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/04/canada-geese-are-attacking-people-and-cars-toronto/
Don’t tell anyone. Fifteen years ago we had so many geese on our lake that I was filling a 5 gallon bucket with poo every week. The DNR came and trapped some to move but that did nothing. All the property owners then got together and we shot them all. After we shot them a few would occasionally appear for about a year. We shot those too. Now we don’t have any. These were planted about 50 years ago by the DNR and they don’t migrate.

Ho ya cow ya, it’s frigid. At 5 PM it was +7F. My wife, who is from down south, has no sympathy to my exclaiming the temp. She said “it’s winter”. I guess I’m getting old, I have bike projects but this winter they have only been in my mind. The cut up frames are semi snow covered on my outside work bench. We have almost no snow, but more than last year. Snow is above my ankles but below mid calf. Very little ice for biking so far, just packed snow. Lake Superior is still pretty open except in bays and this morning when it was -14F it was smoking like crazy. This afternoon there were small ice flows forming our towards the horizon.

This is a La Nina year again so that should mean a wetter and colder winter here in the Great Lakes states. So far the temps here have been higher than usual and we have had a total of maybe 2.5" of snow. I haven't even test fired my snowblower yet. My birthday is typically one of the coldest days of the year and it was -07F so that didn't disappoint. The southern states have been pounded with severe storms which is expected in La Nina winter.

This is a La Nina year again so that should mean a wetter and colder winter here in the Great Lakes states. So far the temps here have been higher than usual and we have had a total of maybe 2.5" of snow. I haven't even test fired my snowblower yet. My birthday is typically one of the coldest days of the year and it was -07F so that didn't disappoint. The southern states have been pounded with severe storms which is expected in La Nina winter.
Come to think of it I have only used my snow blower 3 times so far this season. I really didn’t need to use it, I could have just packed it with my 4 wheel drive. I haven’t used it for 6 weeks. It probably won’t start if we get a storm, lol. I really want a big 3 day old fashioned blow, just to let me know I’m not living on Mars.

We are at -25 again. Been inside all day. Just ventured out to charge a frozen battery so the wife could go shopping. Then back to hibernation. They're predicting about 2 feet of snow in the forecast, really hoping those jerks are wrong.

Latest posts

Back