Good From Afar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bar end plug is a good idea. Hardware store too. We should open up hardware stores again, I miss rummaging through bins. We've been completely shut down since the beginning of April, nothing but curbside pickup It's getting pretty depressing for a lot of people. I'm doing fine, was antisocial distancing long before it was social

Did a little more designing. 47 more crosses for 47 more holes. Wish I had a drill press!
IMG_20210523_174953337.jpg

Man these things are bad. Check out the gaps
IMG_20210523_170550007~2.jpg

Think I might have to rig up some struts to keep it real

Last edited:
beer_goggles20.jpg

Now the beer is gone and I'm still doing some thinking: should I do less, larger holes, or is lots of little holes bester? The fender is really flimsy steel, I'm a little concerned about structure once I swiss cheese the thing.
Also, never used a step bit, or gotten really drill happy with sheet metal. Would it be better if I worked from the back on the fender so I can support it with a block, or from the front and simply drill into empty space?

Last edited:
I like the idea of the speed holes. I would find some scrap metal to test on first though. Even with a drill press it the bit can travel out of center sometimes. For the right effect, you'll want to have the finished holes have a good straight centerline. Otherwise it will look a little wonky. With a hand drill it's gonna be even harder to keep that centerline. Getting a good center punch will help some. But definitely practice on some scrap first.

I like how you chopped the Head off the Moose.
A beer bottle cap or coin might be a good hole filler over the kickstand.

Keep rolling man. I like your plans for this build!

I like the idea of the speed holes. I would find some scrap metal to test on first though. Even with a drill press it the bit can travel out of center sometimes. For the right effect, you'll want to have the finished holes have a good straight centerline. Otherwise it will look a little wonky. With a hand drill it's gonna be even harder to keep that centerline. Getting a good center punch will help some. But definitely practice on some scrap first.

I like how you chopped the Head off the Moose.
A beer bottle cap or coin might be a good hole filler over the kickstand.

Keep rolling man. I like your plans for this build!
Your post is why I suggest no drilling. Working thin curved metal and a design pattern requires a fair amount of skill to get right.. Limited supply of fenders.

For added effect though, the holes could be filled with grommets.
Classic
tnw900-grommets1.jpg

or
Liberace
80-jogos-lote-4-cores-15mm-redondo-metal-lat-o-strass-ilh-s-de-cristal-diamante.jpg

Well, this is why I'm hesitant to drill. It will not even be Good From Afar the way things are going so far. I did some testing on curved metal using a hand drill, and the bit was skating all over the place. I was sort of hoping that the tape would help with traction. The lines I sketched were quite rough, just wanted to get my hands on the job to see where problems might arise. I'll probably redo the lines more precisely, and see what I think then. I still love the speed hole idea, it is still in the plan, but it needs work.

Well, this is why I'm hesitant to drill. It will not even be Good From Afar the way things are going so far. I did some testing on curved metal using a hand drill, and the bit was skating all over the place. I was sort of hoping that the tape would help with traction. The lines I sketched were quite rough, just wanted to get my hands on the job to see where problems might arise. I'll probably redo the lines more precisely, and see what I think then. I still love the speed hole idea, it is still in the plan, but it needs work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_holeStart with a tiny drill bit, 1/16''
Secure the work well.
Be patient most of all.

Thing is, I seen lightning holes in racing everywhere but the fenders!

Drink and drill.

Enough of the waffling. Caution, meet wind. I found about an hour of free time tonight. My practice piece is the guard. Started with a tiny bit, 3/32 or something. They stayed fairly straight. Then the step bit. I don't have a vice or clamps, so feel free to marvel at my ingenuity. Or mock away, it's a mitre box and some shims.
IMG_20210526_194055025.jpg
IMG_20210526_194059470.jpg
IMG_20210526_192807748.jpg
IMG_20210526_194051763.jpg
IMG_20210526_192758088.jpg
IMG_20210526_192748150.jpg

Anyhoo, drill battery and time ran out. There's more to be done here.
Also, knowledge gained. My plans for the fender holes are changing based on the experience.

Enough of the waffling. Caution, meet wind. I found about an hour of free time tonight. My practice piece is the guard. Started with a tiny bit, 3/32 or something. They stayed fairly straight. Then the step bit. I don't have a vice or clamps, so feel free to marvel at my ingenuity. Or mock away, it's a mitre box and some shims.
View attachment 159081View attachment 159080View attachment 159079View attachment 159078View attachment 159077View attachment 159076
Anyhoo, drill battery and time ran out. There's more to be done here.
Also, knowledge gained. My plans for the fender holes are changing based on the experience.

Brilliant solution brother!!!

Here’s an idea (if not too late), for the ones on the face of guard, now that you have the pilot holes...set it face down on a piece of wood run a screw through the end holes. Step drill the ones in between, then go back and do the end ones

That's good. I'll use it. There will be more holes. Probably would have been smarter to drill back to front like that too. Doing it from the front caused the bit to push steel out the back side. It would make filing the rough edges of the holes a lot easier, being outside the guard.

Latest posts

Back