Good From Afar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an idea awhile back....grill grate....skirts for my bike.....

Still have the grate.

I'm actually planning to attempt a swap. Mother in law needs a wee grill to cook h-dogs for Thundrrrs Junior when they visit. Hope it's worth a bike or two out of the barn

Here we go again. Plan, prepare and proceed. Staying hydrated is important, keeps the mind focused and the eye sharp.
IMG_20210612_143803608.jpg

Using Dad's drill was heavy, both physically and metaphorically. I used my little battery powered unit for the pilot holes, and the big drill with step bit
IMG_20210612_144235800.jpg

Whole lotta holes later
IMG_20210612_152432274.jpg
IMG_20210612_152449803.jpg

IMG_20210612_152355773.jpg

Off with the tape, a little cleanup with the rotary grinder, and I'm super happy with how it turned out
IMG_20210612_161448097.jpg
IMG_20210612_161417212.jpg

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks..."
Tom Petty

Negotiations regarding the grill-bike swap didn't go well. That door is still quite locked.
This totally sucks, I feel like I'm back to square zero. I have no idea what to do about the front end. I have no fork, no stem, no bars, no crank. I basically need to find a donor bike. I guess I could pull apart the Wonky Donkey and put the parts on here, but that's basically just putting its original parts back on it, and how much fun is that?
Arrrrgghhhhhh this is where my "process" crashes and dies a slow death on a shelf in my garage. Good From Afar, meet Daddy Long Legs, the Rock Rat, and the panels from Duck Norris. At least you won't be lonely.

Here we go again. Plan, prepare and proceed. Staying hydrated is important, keeps the mind focused and the eye sharp.View attachment 161145
Using Dad's drill was heavy, both physically and metaphorically. I used my little battery powered unit for the pilot holes, and the big drill with step bit
View attachment 161143
Whole lotta holes laterView attachment 161139View attachment 161142
View attachment 161140
Off with the tape, a little cleanup with the rotary grinder, and I'm super happy with how it turned out
View attachment 161144View attachment 161141
I can't help but wonder if on a downhill speed run it'll whistle.

The rear hub has the wobbles pretty bad. Was run into the ground by the kids. There's some similarities between the mag the crank spokes too, some nice design touches, for something that feels like cheap junk quality wise. I might be stashing that front rim until the March thing
Even so, I'm surprised they left it at the curb, the kids have been spotted riding around on what I'd call a rat: tiny kids frame, giant apes, huge cruiser seat... Seems odd that they'd toss all the parts. I went and knocked on the door to be sure that they didn't want it. I ain't stealing any kid's bike

Stores are open again!!!!
IMG_20210619_125310945.jpg

I think this is my color palette. We'll see how aggressive I can get with the paint removal.
Question: has anyone tried, or seen clear coat over flat black? I'm hoping for the some of the texture to stay, but with a wet look. Thankfully, QA Richard volunteered to undergo the process in the name of science.
IMG_20210619_120854926.jpg
IMG_20210619_120928009.jpg

He and the fender and guard are scuffed, scraped, scrubbed, and ready to spray. Weather and schedule will dictate progress

Also, is there a term for when a builder enters a zone, where everything starts to look like bike parts? Grilling some dawgs for the fam, and I may have found an idea for a fender strut.
IMG_20210619_144528231.jpg

Remove the grips, a little trimming and shaping, a few dozen holes...
I can flip a weiners by hand, right?

Here we go again. Plan, prepare and proceed. Staying hydrated is important, keeps the mind focused and the eye sharp.View attachment 161145
View attachment 161143
Whole lotta holes laterView attachment 161139View attachment 161142
View attachment 161140
View attachment 161144View attachment 161141
Wicked cool idea

I really like how those speed holes turned out on your fender!
Every item CAN be a bike part in our world, so why not treat it that way!
The PapaThundrr pic was awesome!

Well, things have happened. Build is in dangerous waters, unsure if I can pilot it into the harbor by deadline.
Started to throw a little flat black on the drilled parts, didn't want to get any rust on the exposed metal.
Got one coat sprayed.
IMG_20210703_123337014.jpg
IMG_20210703_123942896.jpg

Between coats, I started disassembly of the Mongoose MX, ran downstairs to grab a tool, found a sewage backup in the finished portion, raw waste seeping through flooring, soaking carpet, puddling etc. No pics. You are certainly welcome. No need to describe what I had to scoop.

To further mess crap up, between plumber and insurance phone calls, I decided to try to get a second coat, just to finish it up and put it away. Hurrying and fumbling, I dropped the fender, wet paint, in the gravel.
IMG_20210703_135207198.jpg

That's rocks and dirt stuck in the paint. So that's where we are at for the foreseeable future.

Latest posts

Back