Grandpa-RockHopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Txwayno I think in the Beginning they (truss rods ) helped stiffen the old blade forks when they had a brace to the rod at the fork crown. They are usually 5/16 " steel its gotta add some stiffness even in the more decorative unbraced type.
Gary

Work Log: 3/4" emt bent with bender in background. Tube templates for grinding out fish mouths on tube.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Closeup of tube fitting to downtube. Template is from online Tube Coping Calculator program you enter in the tube sizes and the angle that they meet then print out the template, cut it out , tape it around cut cube then grind to size. Very easy to do. I Tig welded the tube on but should have braised it I blew some holes in the Frame cause I'm a novice and the CroMoly frame is very thin in these locations. Oh well a little sleeving in the seat tube and some brasing and a little bondo later they lok ok.
Gary
dscf1866n.jpg

By xc204

I used big hoop trusses on the Whiskey Lighting, which were unbraced, and you had to put a whole lot of tension on them (I'm talking lean into it!), just to get them to hook into the receiver collar at the top of the head tube. This kinda "pre stressed" the whole entire front end of the bike.
I have to think they are, in most cases, fully functional.

This thing is looking great by the way.

Spent my first money today on the bike at a local guy that sells and fixes out of his garage. $5 for the crank on the right. Was going to use the black Coda but looked to modern. I'l lose the inter ring and just use the big ring. The guy I bought the crank from had a Schwinn Typhoon with a 2 spd kick back bike in good shape for $150 and he deals. Will try to get photo off phone and post it with info.
Gary

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pic's of dropouts pre and post welding.
dscf1848r.jpg

By xc204
Welded.
dscf1849p.jpg

By xc204
I love the smell of bondo in the morning...It smells like.....well bondo. Just playing with the flame thrower not using it on this bike.
dscf1879.jpg

By xc204

well i sure hope removing/replacing the drop outs don't x ya from the competition.
would be a shame, i love the direction of this build.

I'm hopeing that also as I needed to do that for chain adjustment. I didn't have enough material to slot the org. dropouts.
Thanks
Gary

Got the frame smoothed and primed also fork. Im thinking I should have made it a springer....
Now I need to make a rack with integrated taillight to match the fork design and a large headlight for up front. Ordered some white tires today also.
dscf1987n.jpg

By xc204
dscf1988y.jpg

By xc204

Looking great!!! and just in my favourite tone of colour... it says over there you´ve got two jeeps... could it be possible that that paint is TM9 ordnance, maybe a remanent from painting one of your jeeps ?
JsmJeepMB.gif

Gdcast no its only Duplicolor self etching primer..But it grows on me as a finish color maybe this that I built has somthing to do with it?
dscf1601me8.jpg

By xc204 at 2008-11-18

Oh Definitely!
Watch out my friend, there´s no known cure to the O.D. Fever!
I´ve been happily carrying it for half my life now
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talking about the subject, here is your truck´s GRANDPA. :D

Saturday morning time wasting. These are the concepts for the rear rack with intigrated tail and marker lights behind the slots in the clamps that match the truss rod crown. I think I will do a teak or Mahogany top. The light concept is a coleman flashlight head with the body removed. I fabed a back plate that will have an indicator lense that glows when the 3Watt LED light source is illuminated. It will mount to the top of the fork truss rod. Some trimming of the bracket will be done.
dscf1991h.jpg

By xc204
dscf1992w.jpg

By xc204
dscf1993.jpg

By xc204

Granth if I understand what you are saying the bar is the one below the light? if so thats just some scrap bar stock holding up the light for illustration.The light gimbal will bolt to the spare hole on the truss rod brace .

Making light work of it today...Have a week long PLC class in Chicago for work this week so im taking it easy.
3watt LED luxion star mounted to light back/heatsink. Led optics sloppily glued to reflector of flashlight.
dscf2006x.jpg

By xc204
Light back mounted with gimbal screws installed. and indicator lense set in.
dscf2008j.jpg

By xc204

Got this far on the lighting. mounts made holes threaded in headlight.
dscf2010mo.jpg

By xc204
Mounted a new tire to a wheel, a back one oops to see how fork would look oh well thats what imaginations are for I guess
dscf2009eq.jpg

By xc204
Next up a rear rack that matches the truss rod elements.

Latest posts

Back